Buying a Trek hybrid for my girlfriend-two options.

Which bike.?

• Trek 7.0 FX 2012

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave McCarthy

Hey all,
I'm buying a hybrid for my girlfriend's commute into work. She's an amateur rider but has always had to rely on substandard cheaper bikes. She's been eyeing up some cheaper Halford's hybrids, but I've decided to do it proper and pick her up a decent Trek. I've narrowed it to two similar options with some mass crammage of research, but I can't find much to choose between these two other than minor athestics. Any suggestions from those more in the know..?
I've got the Trek 7.0 FX 2012 and the Trek 7.2 FX 2011.
Much appreciated in advance!

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd go for the 2011 with the Alivio gears, there are more too, better brakes too? - and the red is so much nicer than the grey (from my female perspective ;) ) I had a 7.2 a few years back - lovely light quick bike

Lozatron

I'd always get the best you can afford - trite I know but...in general if I were spending less than 7-800 quid I'd probably go second hand - the joy you get from riding something with decent componentry makes you far more likely to cycle more I think...it's circular if you'll pardon the pun...

I used to cycle in a pretty entry level bike - 250ish from a local bike shop - the specifics that I noticed when going from that to a Trek 7.5 FX were the changing was easier and seemed more positive - so I ended up in an appropriate gear more of the time - and it was lighter, so much easier up hills etc.

If new is a must for you, at any given price point I've found the Boardman bikes to be excellent - dealing with Halfords might but you off but if you can get past that pain...Planet X also have some great offers but I suspect their entry level is above your price point.

Good luck - and well done for investing your girlfriend's commuting enjoyment - my bicycle commute has changed my life and I wouldn't live without it - if she gets a tenth as much enjoyment as I have she'll be very grateful indeed!

Lozatron

I'd always get the best you can afford - trite I know but...in general if I were spending less than 7-800 quid I'd probably go second hand - the joy you get from riding something with decent componentry makes you far more likely to cycle more I think...it's circular if you'll pardon the pun...

I used to cycle in a pretty entry level bike - 250ish from a local bike shop - the specifics that I noticed when going from that to a Trek 7.5 FX were the changing was easier and seemed more positive - so I ended up in an appropriate gear more of the time - and it was lighter, so much easier up hills etc.

If new is a must for you, at any given price point I've found the Boardman bikes to be excellent - dealing with Halfords might but you off but if you can get past that pain...Planet X also have some great offers but I suspect their entry level is above your price point.

Good luck - and well done for investing your girlfriend's commuting enjoyment - my bicycle commute has changed my life and I wouldn't live without it - if she gets a tenth as much enjoyment as I have she'll be very grateful indeed!

2011 - It looks like it has a better riding position, get her to to sit on it and see how feels. Then later ask her to sit on the bike as well^_^

OP
OP
D

Dave McCarthy

Lozatron,

Very good point buddy, and probably one I would've taken if I hadn't been sterotypically blokish about all this and left everything to the last minute! I had a goosey online and found a fair few sweet bikes for private sale around the country-but all were hundreds of miles away, bastards. Given enough time, I'm sure something funkay would turn up local, but I dinnae think I can wait. I checked out Planet X-indeed, slightly about what I had intended. :becool:

Still, cheers for the help all! ^_^ Think I might plumb for the 7.2 2011, unless something miraculously turns up overnight.

potsy

Rambler
Definitely the 7.2, better spec,lighter, and only £20 dearer.
I started riding on a 7.1 and within a few months was wishing I'd paid the extra for something a bit more higher in the range, eventually moving to a road bike.

Top Bottom