Buying an item you owned when you were younger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm about to buy an encyclopaedia that I had as a child and which was lost when we moved home after my mum died. Taken quite a bit of tracking down the exact same edition. It's nothing special to look at, just a single volume and rather dated (printed early 1960's I think), contents hopelessly out of date in the modern world and of no practical use to anyone. But when I was about 9 or 10, I spent hours and hours reading it.

Must say I'm looking forward to having it on my bookshelf once again. :rolleyes:

krushavik

Lst year I went to an old worlde shoppe in Yorkshire and bought a whip and top. The in them days was called a window breaker. Grand-kids thought I'd gone daft. I used to be dead good at it. ah memories :blush:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Would buy a 1200cc Beetle again if I could afford it... just for old times's sake! Especially if it was light blue and had the registration WDW 824K.... happy days.

mark barker

I recently purchased a Duncan Yo-Yo from a car boot sale as it was identical to the one I spent many hours trying to master (and always failing). No intention of trying it again, but nice to have in the drawer.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
One of these - just an excuse to buy Meths though if truth be told.

Mamod_Minor_2_Steam_Engine.jpg

Saddle bum

Über Member
Running a few cycle jumbles, I come across a lot of old kit in good condition. As much as I am drawn to the stuff and it always kindles memories, I cannot commit to buying it. I get more pleasure from looking at old pictures than I would riding "retro" kit.

OTOH, I have an extensive collection of veteran rifles and am always buying odds and sods accessories.

U

User169

One of these - just an excuse to buy Meths though if truth be told.

Mamod_Minor_2_Steam_Engine.jpg

Still got a mamod steam engine which I got as a birthday present around 1975. Got it out about a year ago and tried to fire it up; there was a pair of my Dad's undercrakers in the box which I must have used to clean it back in the day.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I bought a copy of a book I used to love as a kid, hoping that my (then) 4 year old would like it read to her at bedtime... she didn't, but might read it herself soon as she now loves reading.

The book is The Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse. Great stuff!

Interestingly it is available on Amazon now with a horrible "new look" cover... whereas I managed to get the original one I remember from being a kid.

Scarily the one on Amazon says available in paperback from £35.96... I paid about £1.37 IIRC, about 2 years ago! Bizarre!

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I would like to get a watch like I used to have as a kid. It had luminous hands. The face consisted of three circles, red, white and blue. On circle had the minutes, another had the numbers 1 to 12, and the last had the numbers 13 to 24. It got nicked when I went for a swim in a lake in Ireland.

Top Bottom