C-bag on S-type Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I'm sure this question has been asked many, many times, but can you squeeze a C-Bag on an S type Brompton? I am idly pondering buying a 2 speed S type, but I already have a C-Bag. I know Brompton don't recommend it, but can you?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Not 100% sure, but I run the larger T bag on an S type and as long as it’s not brim full it’s fine.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I'm sure this question has been asked many, many times, but can you squeeze a C-Bag on an S type Brompton? I am idly pondering buying a 2 speed S type, but I already have a C-Bag. I know Brompton don't recommend it, but can you?

You can, many people including myself have been doing this. However: The handle on the bag frame may get in the way of the brake and shifter cables. Which means the outer cables will wear (ducktape can prevent this) and worse: in some unlucky situations your steering may be locked by the cables being caught by the handle wich comes in as an unwanted surprise and may - in the worst case - end in a crash. It rarely happens but it can happen and it happend to me more than once (at low speed w/o a crash). Maybe it is even less of an issue with current S-models as they have different brake levers and a slightly wider bar than ten years ago when this happened to me. I'd assume this is the main reason for Brompton not recommending the use of the bigger bags on an S model. To avoid it you can either cut off the handle or use a S-frame with the C-bag (works flawlessly). Both approaches solve the problem. Or you ignore it and live with it

Top Bottom