C2C planning (Whitehaven to Teeside-ish) - where to stop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Black Sheep
If the parts are all correct I wonder whether the derailleur pivots are all moving correctly?

It changes gear happily, it just skips when peddling as though it's trying to change up a gear, making me think it's catching the ramps on the next sprocket and trying to go.

It doesn't happen on the larger gears as there's clearance for it to sit slightly off centre and not do it.

It's going into the bike shop when I get chance as I'm out of ideas and can't keep chucking chains at it.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It changes gear happily, it just skips when peddling as though it's trying to change up a gear, making me think it's catching the ramps on the next sprocket and trying to go.

It doesn't happen on the larger gears as there's clearance for it to sit slightly off centre and not do it.

It's going into the bike shop when I get chance as I'm out of ideas and can't keep chucking chains at it.
That does similar to mine when the main pivot siezed. A strip, clean and regrease sorted it for me. Might be worth a look?

Zoidburg75

Regular
I've just come back from a few days doing C2C, I chose to do Workington to Sunderland mostly via the national cycleway routes 71 and 7 I think. It was my first solo cycling trip and and not a used to huge mileage so I chose top do it over 3 nights and 4 days starting on a Monday afternoon and finishing on a Thurs morning allowing me to get trains to and from the start and finish. I averaged about 35 miles a day which suited me fine ( I could have ridden further but I'm not used to the hills and had to push up quite a few!) but overall it was a wonderful couple of days and I met loads of friendly people along the way.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
I've just come back from a few days doing C2C, I chose to do Workington to Sunderland mostly via the national cycleway routes 71 and 7 I think. It was my first solo cycling trip and and not a used to huge mileage so I chose top do it over 3 nights and 4 days starting on a Monday afternoon and finishing on a Thurs morning allowing me to get trains to and from the start and finish. I averaged about 35 miles a day which suited me fine ( I could have ridden further but I'm not used to the hills and had to push up quite a few!) but overall it was a wonderful couple of days and I met loads of friendly people along the way.

Where did you break for the nights and what kind of accommodation did you use?

OP
OP
Black Sheep
So, I've realised that I'm not as fit as I'd like to be to take this on, also time to get fit enough to do this in the spring of 2022 is too tight.
Also no idea what Covid might do to alter plans.

So I'm planning to go in 2023 which will be my dad's 70th which seems fitting as I'll be on 'his' bike raising funds for a cause related to dad.

The two things I'm trying to figure out is, where to stop in terms of accommodation, do most pubs / B&Bs on the route cater for nutters on bikes who may be quite pedantic about where they store their bike?

Also, to do with a 'challenge' company or just get on and do it truly solo?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
So, I've realised that I'm not as fit as I'd like to be to take this on, also time to get fit enough to do this in the spring of 2022 is too tight.
Also no idea what Covid might do to alter plans.

So I'm planning to go in 2023 which will be my dad's 70th which seems fitting as I'll be on 'his' bike raising funds for a cause related to dad.

The two things I'm trying to figure out is, where to stop in terms of accommodation, do most pubs / B&Bs on the route cater for nutters on bikes who may be quite pedantic about where they store their bike?

Also, to do with a 'challenge' company or just get on and do it truly solo?
Its 25 years since I rode the route you're using but I've ridden many similar routes over the years. My experience is the vast majority of pubs, B&Bs, etc. fully understand bike storage and will offer it to attract custom. Not having secure storage can be a deal breaker.

As for a "challenge" company I know people who've done this and it worked well for them. Costly but workrd. I prefer to carry my own gear, I see it as part of the fun. Having said that I'm hoping to do a six day gravel tour in 2022 with a challenge company.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
As for a "challenge" company I know people who've done this and it worked well for them. Costly but workrd. I prefer to carry my own gear, I see it as part of the fun. Having said that I'm hoping to do a six day gravel tour in 2022 with a challenge company.

I can see the attraction of using a challenge company for a longer trip as there's more to carry.
I'm hoping to 3 day it so probably can carry my own kit in panniers and a saddle bag.

The bike doesn't have rack mounts, although I had a rack on it in the past but now not sure if the thin (think they're M3) screws holding the mudguards in place seem a bit thin so I'm thinking to P-clip the rack top and bottom.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!

With all due respect, excuses excuses :laugh:

I did Morecambe to Bridlington with my dad about 2 years ago. Prior to that tour, I'd had a stroke robbing me of most of my fitness and and a fair bit of balance. My avg speed was less than 10mph. I used a walking stick on a daily basis.
You don't need to be fit to tour. It's not a race. You do need a desire to finish it and the will to carry on despite what the weather throws at you.
I bought my first touring bike in Jan 2012 and planned a tour every year after that. It wasn't till I had my stroke that I took a different look at life and actually did it. Why wait? You don't know what's going to happen in a year or two or next month or even tomorrow.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
In addition to my waffling above, we did the Way of the Roses as general opinion in the cycling world is that its an ideal first tour.
Getting out of Settle is damn hard. We pushed our bikes up that hill (and many others)
My dad and I take the opinion that a tour isn't a tour unless we carry our own gear. Having someone else do it is just....not touring. Plenty of folk will disagree with this but at the end of the day it's how you feel that matters. Not us.
We did it over 5 days averaging around 25 ish miles a day. We felt after the tour that that was maybe pushing it a bit as we didn't arrive at our chosen campsites till gone 3pm and later sometimes. The miles weren't hard. The climbing was. It's hilly.
Keep your touring gear to a minimum and as light as you can afford because again...hills. Think of the hills. They're relentless.
Enjoy it.

CXRAndy

Guru
If you can ride 40 miles in one go, then a 70-80 mile easy day is possible. Regarding hills, get the correct gearing to allow you to ride with a fast cadence albeit very slowly. Less than 20" gear inches should suffice to climb any hill.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
If you can ride 40 miles in one go, then a 70-80 mile easy day is possible. Regarding hills, get the correct gearing to allow you to ride with a fast cadence albeit very slowly. Less than 20" gear inches should suffice to climb any hill.

That's the bit I'm working towards, the most I've done in one go is 20km

I've got slightly smaller chainrings on the bike than is usual on a road bike.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

It is the end of December. That gives you plenty of time to get fit for Spring. About 12-16 weeks is ideal to make significant gains in fitness. You just have to commit to getting out on the bike consistently and put the time in.

No one is at peak fitness year round and it is normal see a dip this time of year.

CXRAndy

Guru
That's the bit I'm working towards, the most I've done in one go is 20km

I've got slightly smaller chainrings on the bike than is usual on a road bike.

Keep extending rides by 5 miles per week. Once you can do say 2 or 3 rides in one week at 40 -50 miles each and not feel like you're going to die. You will be ready.

Regarding cadence, keeping a high cadence over 80 rpm for most of your ride will not trash your legs for the next day.

Two useful sensors are a chest Heart rate monitor and cadence sensor.

With these two, you can ride within your abilities, be able to see when your HR is too high and dial back your efforts.

Cadence is there to keep an eye so you dont drop down too low and rely on leg power instead of cardiovascular fitness.

Top Bottom