1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable locks for front wheel

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by Funtboy, 15 Jun 2008.

1. Funtboy

Funtboy Well-Known Member

Hi all, I'm about to fork out for some locks for my new bike. I'm pretty much settled on a Kryptonite New York 3000 as a D lock but was wondering if any of you had a recommendation for a cable lock for the front wheel.
    May be this one?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9630

I'm also thinking of replacing the quick release mechanisms on my wheels. Are Pinhead the only people make those components?

Cheers...

2. mootaineer

mootaineer New Member

Pitlock also make them (and I may be wrong but I think they may have got there before Pinhead) http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=11712&src=froogle
    They also used to make seat bolts and stem bolts but not sure how easy they are to find.

As for locks, if you're using a cable lock anyway here's what the late Sheldon Brown said about them...recommending the NY Mini because it was difficult to get tools inside the "U" to force it open:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

4. Funtboy

That method un-nerves me but I can see the logic. Do you use it?

5. Funtboy

6. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

I go through the rear triangle near the hub, so have wheel and frame and sheffield stand filling the D-Lock...then a 10lb chain lock as well though....

7. mootaineer

mootaineer New Member

Well...I've been toying with the idea of moving towards the Kryptonite Mini and a cable.
    At the moment I ride around with an ABUS City Chain X-Plus which is great (but rather heavy).

8. Funtboy

I'm looking for a more portable solution really as regards the chain. 10lbs is heeeeaaavy. I guess in your case it's permanently locked to the sheffield.

9. Cunobelin

Cunobelin Legendary Member

You can place a "U" lock around the rim / tyre within the rear triangle quite safely. It is difficult to cut through a rim, tyre and tube.

My system is a Abus Granit X54 with the Krypotonite cable seen abone, but with a separate disc lock which is then locked to the front carrier as well as the cable. Wheels are allPitlocked.

Idea is that you have to have a jack for the "U" lock, and cutters for the cable. Even if you cut the cable, the ends are still secured to the bike bythe lock.

The more tools you need the less likely an opportunist will make off withyour bike.

10. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

No, I put the lock around the downtube and whatever I'm locking it to. I then feed the cable through the back wheel, push one end through the loop in the other end, then feed the cable through the front wheel and the D-lock goes through the free cable loop.

Maybe I should draw a picture. ;)

11. Funtboy

Okay I'm getting the picture. Thanks all.

12. Nick1979

Nick1979 New Member

I don't really understand this method: if someone cut the wheel, they can get away with the frame without having to break the U lock? Or am I missing something?

13. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Cutting through a wheel is very difficult. You've got to get through the rim, tyre and tube. Difficult using just one tool. Then you've got the pressure the spokes are applying to the rim, which will force the cut together and make it more difficult.

Additionally, on a bike worth making this much effort to steal, the wheels will be worth a fair bit of money. Destroying one isn't going to help the thief, especially if he just wants to sell it straight on to pay for his next fix.

14. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

Cables are just too easy to cut - pitlocks are fantastic, just need to add a 14mm spanner to the too kit. Try www.hubjub.co.uk, they'll order in any combination of bits you need.

15. Nick1979

Nick1979 New Member

So isn't it best to put the U around both the rims and the chain stay (I think it is possible even with a mini U)?

Also, does the insurance cover the loss if the lock is not broken?