Caird Park, Dundee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

The outdoor track at Caird Park, Dundee, is currently being upgraded - new surface, fencing to replace the hedging (oh, how I am gonna miss getting scratches on my arms! :laugh: ) , and floodlights...if anyone wants to give track cycling a go there are "novice" sessions planned, so post here and I'll ask the coaches what the plans are. The track is mostly used by Juniors but I would like to see it being used more for old duffers like me! So if you want to get more use out of it, let me know and I'll pester those who can make it happen!

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

There is an open training session on Thursday 12th April, novices welcome. Starts at 6pm and runs until 8pm (all weather permitting)...

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I'll look into it, although I need to get back on my bike. Now, on my Felt S22 with the TT 'Superman' bars, would I be allowed?

The choice seems either to be Edinburgh or Dundee for me currently (set to change when the one in Glasgow is completed for the Commonwealths).

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
By the way, is that James Caird, as in Ernest Shackelton fame?

EDIT: Yes it is. What is more, I have rowed for Royal West in Greenock before, and they have 2 St Ayles Skiffs named after certain local residents who became famous Antarcticans. The first boat they built was called the Chippy McNeish. He was the carpenter on Shakelton's Endurance expedition and traveled on the famous rescue mission with Shakelton, purely because he was known to be a rebel, and had to be kept under control, but because he also happened to be the carpenter, so could fix the boats as they went along.

The other boat they have is named after another local resident who went down in Antarctican folklore, and who died a little over 100 years ago on Scott's final expedition, Birdy Bowers!

A completely, superlatively fantastically amazingly brilliant book to read is Apsley Cherry Garrard's

'The Worst Journey In The world'

It is one of my all time favourite books, it was voted as being the best travel book ever by Conde Nast Traveller, and is also one of Paul Therous's favourites. It was written in 1922 (with the help of George Bernard Shaw) by one of the youngest members of Scott's expedition party, Apsley Cherry Garrard and is THE entry level book every Antarctica fan should read.

The name of the book actually refers to the journey Cherry, Wilson and Bowers did to Cape Crozier to collect Emperor Penguin eggs in 1911.

Their tent blew away in hurricane force winds, they endured temperatures of -77, their teeth cracked with the cold, and all but 3 of the eggs they retrieved was broken, and they arrived back at Cape Evans barely alive, but, it is all so beautifully written that you feel as though you really are there!

The writing is old fashioned, I'll admit, but that adds a certain charm to it.

Apsley was also sent out to find Scott and the others as they returned from the Pole, but due to the weather and resources, couldn't go that extra mile to find them.

He was heavily criticised, for it, but, how was he to know? after all, there weren't any phones or means of knowing what had happened!

It is said he never really recovered from it properly because he very nearly found them.

I also have an affinity with him because he suffered from Colitis.

Annnyway, there you go, I'm an Antarctica fan, through and through, and one day I'm going to get there!

As you were.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Now, on my Felt S22 with the TT 'Superman' bars, would I be allowed?

You need a track bike to be able to ride on any track, so a Felt S22 would not be permitted as it has gears, cables, brake hoods, levers, bottle cages etc...

There are plenty of bikes at Dundee which can be hired, the NE track league starts later this month, on a Thursday evening.
Edinburgh (national) track league starts in the next week or so, on a Tuesday evening.
And Glasgow will be open by October 2012.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Just spotted a Scottish Cycling post on FB saying the Spring Track meeting at Caird Park on 29 April is cancelled due to the track not being completed (fence not in place I think) but I am not sure when it is due to be completed...I should find out later tonight, and will post an update.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Thanks for that.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Latest update - looks like the fance will not be completed until 27 April so the Spring Track meeting was cancelled as there might be further delays...also means the open training sessions planned for next week are cancelled I suppose.

Oh well, that'll be straight into Track League without any training sessions! I hope I remember how it works...

Brian Sivewright

Hi all im new to the cycle forum i'm from dundee. I was injured in afghanistan last year and I'm now on the mend :biggrin: help4heroes bought me a bike to aid my recovery it's a Merida sculture evo. I'm still not to great on my leg but dying to use it with no bike experience I'm a bit wary of using it on the road do you have any suggestions as the track at caird park is closed at the moment.

Hi all im new to the cycle forum i'm from dundee. I was injured in afghanistan last year and I'm now on the mend :biggrin: help4heroes bought me a bike to aid my recovery it's a Merida sculture evo. I'm still not to great on my leg but dying to use it with no bike experience I'm a bit wary of using it on the road do you have any suggestions as the track at caird park is closed at the moment.
Hi :hello: Have a look here and see if anything is good for you, the only part I've cycled in Dundee is over the Tay Bridge and along by the Discovery towards Perth, iirc its off road until you get out of the city at Invergowrie and its nicer, quieter roads after that.

Fubar

Guru
By the way, is that James Caird, as in Ernest Shackelton fame?

EDIT: Yes it is. What is more, I have rowed for Royal West in Greenock before, and they have 2 St Ayles Skiffs named after certain local residents who became famous Antarcticans. The first boat they built was called the Chippy McNeish. He was the carpenter on Shakelton's Endurance expedition and traveled on the famous rescue mission with Shakelton, purely because he was known to be a rebel, and had to be kept under control, but because he also happened to be the carpenter, so could fix the boats as they went along.

The other boat they have is named after another local resident who went down in Antarctican folklore, and who died a little over 100 years ago on Scott's final expedition, Birdy Bowers!

A completely, superlatively fantastically amazingly brilliant book to read is Apsley Cherry Garrard's

'The Worst Journey In The world'

It is one of my all time favourite books, it was voted as being the best travel book ever by Conde Nast Traveller, and is also one of Paul Therous's favourites. It was written in 1922 (with the help of George Bernard Shaw) by one of the youngest members of Scott's expedition party, Apsley Cherry Garrard and is THE entry level book every Antarctica fan should read.

The name of the book actually refers to the journey Cherry, Wilson and Bowers did to Cape Crozier to collect Emperor Penguin eggs in 1911.

Their tent blew away in hurricane force winds, they endured temperatures of -77, their teeth cracked with the cold, and all but 3 of the eggs they retrieved was broken, and they arrived back at Cape Evans barely alive, but, it is all so beautifully written that you feel as though you really are there!

The writing is old fashioned, I'll admit, but that adds a certain charm to it.

Apsley was also sent out to find Scott and the others as they returned from the Pole, but due to the weather and resources, couldn't go that extra mile to find them.

He was heavily criticised, for it, but, how was he to know? after all, there weren't any phones or means of knowing what had happened!

It is said he never really recovered from it properly because he very nearly found them.

I also have an affinity with him because he suffered from Colitis.

Annnyway, there you go, I'm an Antarctica fan, through and through, and one day I'm going to get there!

As you were.

There was a dramatisation of the Worst Journey in the World a year or so ago (to coincide with a Scott anniversary, can't remember which one though?!?) on BBC 4 I think - it was excellent, I always meant to get a hold of the book so you've just reminded me. And Birdy Bowers was a Scot, from the West Coast?? I think. Cheers, MDB

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
There was a dramatisation of the Worst Journey in the World a year or so ago (to coincide with a Scott anniversary, can't remember which one though?!?)

They set sail from Cardiff on the Terra Nova (NOT the Discovery as everyone always thinks) in 1910, and the journey which is the title of the book was done in 1911. After the main expedition to the Pole 1912, they arrived back in New Zealand in 1913 with the news of the deaths, so it was a 3 year expedition.

on BBC 4 I think - it was excellent, I always meant to get a hold of the book so you've just reminded me.

It is good, although the language used is a bit old fashioned and somewhat flowery in places, but it is still good nontheless, and it was written with 10 years hindsight too.
I have the 1994 Picador version with the introduction by Paul Theroux by the way (apparently Penguin (no coincidence) did it for many years, may still do, although I have never had to buy another version so I don't know).

If you can't find a copy then I can lend you mine.

And Birdy Bowers was a Scot, from the West Coast?? I think. Cheers, MDB

Greenock, as was Chippy McNeish on the Endurance expedition.

Latest update - looks like the fance will not be completed until 27 April so the Spring Track meeting was cancelled as there might be further delays...also means the open training sessions planned for next week are cancelled I suppose.

Oh well, that'll be straight into Track League without any training sessions! I hope I remember how it works...
Keep us posted would love a track session I'm over in Strathkinness Jnr club web-site not got any more info on it yet

Top Bottom