Calling all Helmet Cam Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Unfortunately for everyone else, I've had one of my ideas! :rolleyes:

For anyone who doesn't know, (what do you mean you don't know!) I'm a helmet camera cyclist (some would say infamous...) and I do try my best to use it as a campaigning tool. As Gaz has shown on his blog, there is a grown number of us in the UK and globally.

I wondered what would happen if we all published one video from one particular day, together. What would it produce? Would it be loads of terrible incidents? Or, would it be a collection of videos showing the joys of commuting, or, something else?

So I decided to stick my neck out and set a date. 10th October 2011 (a week on Monday before it gets too dark!). I'm going to produce a video and it would be great if others did as well. If people send me the links of the videos, along with a 25 (max) word description we could pull them together and see what we end up with.

Will it be something that could be used in campaigning? Would it be an advert for cycling, or would it show how bad things can get? I don't know. That is up to the 'cammers'!

So if you have a camera and you cycle commute, why not video on the 10th. Let see what happens!

Oh and if you know another 'cammer' or know another online place they congregate let them know.

More information on my blog!

Number14

Guru
Where is it going to be made available? If it's YouTube do you want a long commute timeshifted into 10 minutes or am edited trip of the highlights?

YahudaMoon

Über Member
So when you cammers get a really bad incident do you go home with a big smile on your face knowing you have just got some of the best bad driving action on cam , I just get the feeeling some cam cyclist go out delibertly looking for nearly getting mowed down by some nut behind the wheel of a motorized vehicle?

Sounds like fun though a little odd maybe ?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I'll probably set up a seperate blog page for it. Unless someone with good net skills wants to set up a site. I think if the cammers could post the video on YouTube or similar the site could just link to it.

Bman

Guru
10 minutes?

I think this really needs someone to compile and edit all the videos into one final entertaining video. Us cammers could do the preliminary editing by submitting the "best bits" of our commute, but what are the best bits? Some of us have long commutes, some of us have cameras that could be better....

There is a lot to consider

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Sorry, forgot to add, what you post is up to you. It could be timeshifted or his a section you like etc. Only stipulation is it is 10 mins or less long. :smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

It doesn't have to be 10 mins. Could be less. Initially I'd like to bring it together, after that there are certainly other possibilities. Exactly what depends on what gets posted. I don't want to put too many details in place as that might influence the footage.

Bman

Guru
So when you cammers get a really bad incident do you go home with a big smile on your face knowing you have just got some of the best bad driving action on cam , I just get the feeeling some cam cyclist go out delibertly looking for nearly getting mowed down by some nut behind the wheel of a motorized vehicle?

I put a camera on my bike and press record, while I am cycling to/from work. Then I forget about it. I feel happy that if something happens to me while I am getting to work/going home I have a video record.

Lets not turn this into a camera debate please. They are arguing about helmets in that thread over there.....

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
How long would each clip from each submission be?
Even if there is 1/8th of the video camera cyclists in the UK submitting a clip, then that is 35x10mins :ohmy:

Anyway, i sent you an e-mail.

Nah, i'm annoyed as hell if someone gets out of their car and shouts at me or if i get a maglite torch waved in my face as a driver tells me to get in the f*cking cycle lane.
You should see the smile on my face when i get home from a ride in dense traffic in London and nothing has happened!

Yup - I like the idea; up for it!

Whatever footage I have on the day, whether it be a stretch of road with lots and lots of drivers showing courtesy and skill, or a monotonous trail of sheepish dingbats being casually and unthinkingly dangerous; First bus drivers demonstrating their "consistent competence" :whistle: , or a bit along the Leeds Liverpool Canal as the trees are turning autumnal ......... well, I'll just choose a segment that best represents my experience of that day, my feelings at the end of it.

Might be 10 minutes, but quite possibly less.

Who knows? Put them all together, and it could turn out anything - between a vibrantly positive celebration of cycle commuting, and an apocalyptic "cycling's so ****ing dangerous", with all sorts of shades in between?

Jezston

Über Member

No.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf

:rolleyes:

dawesome

There's that strange Bristol person whose cycling is rather odd, I don't think even he looks to get deliberately driven into, who did you have in mind? Just a general airy "feeling"?

Feelings.

Nothing more than feelings.

Feeeeeeeeelings!

Whoah whoah woah feeeeelings!

Top Bottom