Cambridge!!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jiggerypokery

Über Member
Corr! Innit good!

I'm currently working in Melbourn and staying in the centre of Cambridge and I have got to say that I wish my daily commute was here rather than in Brum! What a fantastic place to ride! And don't get me started on the new and unusual concept of sdeeing women on bikes. I have no idea how I've managed not to crash my car yet!

Cab

jiggerypokery said:
Corr! Innit good!

I'm currently working in Melbourn and staying in the centre of Cambridge and I have got to say that I wish my daily commute was here rather than in Brum! What a fantastic place to ride! And don't get me started on the new and unusual concept of sdeeing women on bikes. I have no idea how I've managed not to crash my car yet!

I'd say that 48 days out of 50, Cambridge is a great place to ride. Once in a while though, it turns into just about the most bad tempered road network in the country; the abuse, the physical threats, even intentional nudges I've had here have been more frequent and more serious than anywhere else. And the cycle lanes here, gosh, but what a complete waste of paint!

But yeah, very often, when the sun starts to shine and the roads have plenty of cyclists on them (some of them even obeying the highway code...), its great.

Maz

Guru
The sheer volume of traffic in Cambridge makes it possible to potter around at a gentle pace. Some roads tend to be on the narrow side which makes cycling a more 'intimate' experience.

OP
OP
jiggerypokery

jiggerypokery

Über Member
It just seems that there's a natural harmony between cars and bikes and this is in a city that is really only designed for pedestrians or the occasional horse!

If we weren't closing the Melbourn office I'd be asking to relocate here.

Cab

jiggerypokery said:
It just seems that there's a natural harmony between cars and bikes and this is in a city that is really only designed for pedestrians or the occasional horse!

If we weren't closing the Melbourn office I'd be asking to relocate here.

Harmony? Try that on Mitchams Corner, Milton Road or Stretten Avenue. The city centre is pretty easy, because it IS so cramped, and because it IS generally so slow, but coming in towards the city from the North or East can be a nightmare sometimes.

Yeah it's nice.....until you get to Histon Road A14 roundabout and then the driving gets psychotic ;).

I saw better driving in Rome.

But like you say, it's flat, and there's lots of bikes so at least the cars are expecting to see you.

And like Maz says, I'm not close to affording a house in the city, that's why I live in Chavtown Newmarket instead :biggrin:

OP
OP
jiggerypokery

jiggerypokery

Über Member
That was one of the things I noticed as I was walking through the centre this morning - the godawful nasal twang of the local accent and the juxtaposition of chav alongside student.

The snob in me is more than evident today ;)

Top Bottom