can any1 help me stop the WALL!!!please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy05

this is my first post, so here goes .
i am training for a 150 miles charity event and have been training as much as i can cycle wise what is 2-3 times a week, one of these being a 50 miles + ride .
i also do cardiovascular and gym work 6 days a week, so im very fit. I would like to cycle train more but im in secondary school studying for GCSE
however are there any tips for batteling through the WALL( hitting the wall) , im finding it incredibly hard to battle through it and carry on cycling at a reasonable pace ?
so any help and tips would help alot
thanks guys

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
The 'wall' as you call it is a way of telling you have done too much, and at your age, i think its a good sign that you need to slow down, and stop trying so hard.

The 'wall' at my age tells me that i need to ride more long distances to get used to the load on my system, and that i am shockingly unfit.

General advice at any age, would be that you need to learn to pace yourself better, and get used to riding long distances. But at your age, i would concentrate on riding, and enjoying it.

yenrod

Have a week off and see what happens - you'll be surprised!!!!! :biggrin:

I used to do what you do...DONT DO TOO MUCH !

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Andy - welcome to the forum.

The WALL, a.k.a. hunger-knock, bonk, "man-with-the-hammer" isn't something you battle through - that wall aint for climbing! I remember Lance Armstrong getting it once and it reduced even him to a grovel.

From cyclingnews.com:

• Drama was rife on the final climb of the 2000 Tour De France, the Col de Joux-Plane today, as Maillot Jaune Lance Armstrong (USPS) had a bad case of the bonk with 22km to go, as the steep climb began. He was dropped by Virenque and a resurgent Jan Ullrich, while Richard Virenque (Polti), warmed by the summer sun, charged ahead to win the stage. Armstrong was visibly in trouble as the tough ascent started; his usually impeccable form had deteriorated to swaying shoulders and bobbing head as the tough Texan struggled to stay in contact with the front of the race. So why did Armstrong crack?

"The problem was a bonk; I didn't eat enough and on the last climb I had no energy...", said Lance just after the stage finish.

It usually happens when you've totally burnt off your glycogen reserves. You've gone from having a high-grade carbohydrate fuel supply to having to ride on low-grade 'lard'. The answer is to refuel continuously before it happens. Eat and drink enough of the right stuff and you should be okay. Useful nutrition advice here.

It's also possible that you might be getting severely dehydrated. It's easy to work that one out - weigh yourself naked before and after each ride. For every kg lighter you are, you should have drunk about a litre more when you were on your bike. It probably wouldn't hurt to be 0.5-0.75 kg down but I wouldn't want to be down more than a kilo or so. Useful hydration advice here.

wafflycat

I have some experience of this, having a cycling son who, aged 16, did the Tour of Normandy, which was 500km in 2.5 days.

Basically - if that's your training load, you're probably *overtraining* and setting yourself up for illness and injury. Ask any qualified coach (which, alas, I'm not, I'm just the mum of a young cyclist who does get coaching) and he or she will tell you that rest & recovery is a *vital* part of any training regime. I know of young athletes who have upped their training regime a lot and they have indeed come down with various nasties. Take care of yourself: healthy eating (lots of fruit, veg, carbs and protein), keep hydrated, yes, plenty of exercise but also LOTS OF REST. Recovery time is where your body builds on the works you've put it through.

As an example of training, my son's weekly training plans *always* included one day a week off the exercise.

If you are otherwise healthy, I'd be suggesting taking a few days to a week off the exercise. Rest, recuperate. Eat wisely. During that time think about drawing up a sensible training plan that includes a rest day each week.

Fitting in cycling: do you cycle to and from school? That's the main way my son built in some base miles.

I'd also suggest:-

Get yourself to your doc for a general check-up. You're probably fine, but it's worthwhile getting checked to make sure you've nothing nasty brewing.

Think about getting yourself a proper coach. If you want a general fitness coach - is this something your PE teacher at achool can assist with? If he or she can't personally, perhaps they can suggest someone. If you want a cycling specific coach, the British Cycling web site gives details.

When you are exercising, make sure you are hydrated *before* you start exercising, during exercise and afterwards. Isotonic drinks are good stuff. Post exercise think about recovery food/drink with protein in it. If you exercise over any length of time, make sure you are eating/drinking little and often to keep your blood sugar levels up. In cycling there is a term "the bonk" and no, it's not anything to do with that girl in the GCSE French set, it's to do with running out of energy quickly. Eating & drinking little & often during exercise will stop this happening.

Best of luck.

andygates

And after all that, two simple words: Eat more.

What are you eating and drinking before and during a ride?

Noodley

"The wall" in cycling is not something you can "overcome" - take it easy, eat, pace yourself. I ain't fit but I cycle 200km routes at least twice a month in the "cycling season" and sometimes in winter. It takes time to build it up. And training is more than hammering away all the time. If you are doing cardio 6 days a week plus cycling maybe you are trying too hard (without a plan - not that you need a plan) rather than "training" - training involves resting, eating, drinking, exercise, riding, relaxing...

Noodley

Rather than editing my last post....

I have a 200km on Sunday and been having a good week in the gym - I have built myself up over a few months - but I knew I had to take it easy yesterday, rest today, and will have an easy gym session tomorrow (30 mins max with easy easy stuff)

Tomorow night I am out with friends, and will be drinking and eating (probably to excess :wacko:) and Saturday I will be shuffling about being a middle-aged moaning faced git. Sunday I know I shall ride the 200km - well, I will if I get my bike put together :rolleyes: - and then go back to the gym on Monday for an easy session, then pick it up again so that on Wednesday I shall be back to max effort which I cancarry through for a week as I have no ride next weekend. Then the following week I shall bring it down to easy for the hilly 100km, and the following week keep it easy for the hilly 300km ride.

No need to "perform" all the time (or ever if you are me :blush::angry:)

But "knowing" one can do it or believing one can do it is very important.

F

Flange

I rode 130 miles with a 14 year old last weekend. He hit the wall at 100 miles but recovered after scoffing some energy gels.

The trick is to start off easy and not push yourself hard, that way you will not eat into your reserves too much. Eat something every 40 minutes.. a cake of a banana or something. Drink a bottle of water per hour minimum.

You probably need to learn how to eat during long rides as much as everything else. Maybe try a couple of 80 mile rides at an easy pace, then up it to 100 and your body will adapt. Maybe lay off the intensive weekday training, or give yorself a rest on alternate days... the rest day is when your body grows stronger.

Good luck!

OP
OP
A

andy05

its over 2 days , i would say my fitness is at the top level at the moment, not blowing my own trumpet. i eat and drink allot but make sure its the right stuf, i eat lots of fruit and veg and dont snack on rubbish. but do eat it as it adds to a healthy diet.
noodley- thanks for your comment, helps allot. i have allot of determination and believe i can do it .
My average pace is between 14.5 -16 mph
andygates- before a ride i eat pasta and a banana, along with half a litre of isotonic type drink over a period of 1 hour before a ride. after a ride i have the same normally along with more fluid.
User- you say anyfin under 3 days is pushing to much , why do u belive this ? its not i dont believe you. ive given myself 2 full days. what are your ideas?
thanks every for all your help

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just be careful and listen to the advice here - cycling is an endurance sport, where going to the gym will build up good core strength and help towards the cycling, you will need to carefully build up the miles, so it's important to eat and drink during the ride, and also understand your own limits.

Good luck and ask any for advice as you go along....

Top Bottom