Can anyone advise on this "work Corona query"

Levo-Lon

Guru
My mate works for a body shop 40 miles away, he's in Peterborough work is at Grantham.

Now he wants to obey the government and stay home.
The body shop owner wants to stay open but has no work.

I can't see how a body shop is essential worker requirement work.

Should he be reported and who to?
Basically he's stopping a worker from getting his income.
Also the traveling means going to other county.

This body shop doesn't do mot or tyres and it's not a service centre,just paint and accident repairs.
He has a mate Not employd by him who does odds and sods so also a bit illegal as he uses all the workshop free of charge .. apparently

What do you reckon

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I reckon the blighter should be reported to the council.

OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
I'm confused.

If the bodyshop owner wants to stay open, doesn't he have to pay your mate?

I'm not sure, he is a week in hand so paid for this week.
Boss said we'll review Monday afternoon? Whatever that means

Does he legally have to pay him? he may lay him off..if that's even allowed

I get the feeling he thinks he'll pay ssp or something

Last edited:
My understanding is the employer could lay your mate off and not pay him.

I don't think it matters if the business is still open or not, because many businesses may have some employees they want to lay off and some they don't, depending on roles.

Your mate ought to be squarely in line for the 80 per cent assistance scheme.

The scheme is aimed at encouraging employers to keep employees on, rather than shut their businesses permanently when work stops because of the virus.

I'm not sure if it matters in this case if the business is an essential one, but I think it is.

If an essential worker elsewhere, say an NHS worker, has a crash they will need somewhere open to repair their car.

Julia9054

Guru
"Car garages and repair shops" are on the list of essential businesses that are allowed to remain open.

That said, many have elected to close.
Al was due to have his bumper repaired last monday after some idiot on her phone drove into the back of him. On insurance but due to it being cosmetic, the garage phoned up and cancelled. Don't know if they are completely shut or just concentrating on more essential repairs

screenman

Legendary Member
Is the bodyshop a LTD company, not sure if this makes any difference as I have not researched it, plenty of small business owners are very confused about what to do at the moment. My business is PDR so is only a cosmetic service as such I am shut, mind you so are all my customers.

OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
@Pale Rider
Does the 80% pay if you choose to stay away even if the employer stays open.

The employer does fly close to the wind and you could say very old school

OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Is the bodyshop a LTD company, not sure if this makes any difference as I have not researched it, plenty of small business owners are very confused about what to do at the moment. My business is PDR so is only a cosmetic service as such I am shut, mind you so are all my customers.

I don't think he's LTD, only a couple of employees, wife part time and his mate who just uses him for his own gain..

Mate thinks his boss is staying open hoping to nick other garages contracts as there all shut

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think he's LTD, only a couple of employees, wife part time and his mate who just uses him for his own gain..

Mate thinks his boss is staying open hoping to nick other garages contracts as there all shut
If he’s got employees and payroll how can he not be limited? He’s not a sole trader :scratch:
He does sound like a delightful chap though :wacko:

@Pale Rider
Does the 80% pay if you choose to stay away even if the employer stays open.

The employer does fly close to the wind and you could say very old school
I think choosing to stay away has already caused some bother between employers and employees.

The employer has to apply for the 80 percent, but I suppose won't want to do that if he wants your mate to come into work.

One might have thought if there is no repair work to do, the employer would be pleased to put your mate on the scheme, rather than having him turning up to work and drawing pay just to sweep the workshop and tidy the paint store.

vickster

Legendary Member
From link
Both you and your employer must agree to put you on furlough - so speak to your employer about whether they can claim. You cannot apply for the scheme yourself. Once agreed your employer must write to you confirming you have been furloughed to be eligible to claim.

I wonder if the employer doesn’t want to go this route to avoid HMRC looking too closely at the business? :whistle:

Top Bottom