Can being fitter make you fatter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Towards the end of the summer I went over to the dark side and began road riding, which got me fitter than MTBing has ever done. Now with the dark evenings and even worse weather I'm not getting out much; my diet hasn't changed but recently I feel fat, my belt is tight and I look fatter in the face.

Is it possible that the boost in fitness I gained has actually reduced my calorie requirement by making my body more efficient?

But, but, but, surely if you've stopped going out as much (= less exercise) and your diet has not changed (= same calories) you will put on weight? Or am I missing something?

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Lazy-Commuter said:
But, but, but, surely if you've stopped going out as much (= less exercise) and your diet has not changed (= same calories) you will put on weight? Or am I missing something?

Yes, but before I started road riding my weight was stable; my diet hasn't changed at all since the summer. I feel that being fitter than ever has actually reduced my calorie deficit in day-to-day life.

Rigid Raider said:
Yes, but before I started road riding my weight was stable; my diet hasn't changed at all since the summer. I feel that being fitter than ever has actually reduced my calorie deficit in day-to-day life.
Ah, OK, I missed the point a bit. Sorry.

walker

if you was riding me you was eating more. you couldn't of raised your exercise without increasing the calorie intake to meet energy demands, unless you was eating to much to start with.

with increased muscle comes increased demand for energy (glycogen) to fuel those muscles, even at rest.

Are you sure you've not just got cocky with your diet and you are now eating more than you are using mr?

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
I find this an interesting thread as I have been slightly struggling with what I eat compared to what I burn ratio!

I am hoping this small extra bit of fat around my mid rif is going to disapear completely, but just dont seem to be able to leave thesweet thing s alone?

if I cycle really hard I lose weight but am knackered, Too knackered for anything so compensate by eating too much, bit frustrated really as it's really hard to get it right!

I am aware as the previuos thread says that the fitter I get the less calories I burn on a ride so need to go further or harder to make a differeence!

I feel like I am in a bit of a circle of riding, eating, resting what am I doing wrong?

yello

Perhaps you're working harder on the road? Maybe your mtb'ing was lower intensity fat burn exercise?? Dunno, that doesn't really work for me as an explanation either!

Muscle is heavier than fat so being fitter could make you heavier in theory but I wouldn't have though it could make you visibly fatter.

Being fitter makes me more prone to illness though! I seem to pick up way more sniffles etc now then when I was more sedentary. On the plus side, I throw them more quickly too.

walker

djtheglove said:
I find this an interesting thread as I have been slightly struggling with what I eat compared to what I burn ratio!

I am hoping this small extra bit of fat around my mid rif is going to disapear completely, but just dont seem to be able to leave thesweet thing s alone?

if I cycle really hard I lose weight but am knackered, Too knackered for anything so compensate by eating too much, bit frustrated really as it's really hard to get it right!

I am aware as the previuos thread says that the fitter I get the less calories I burn on a ride so need to go further or harder to make a differeence!

I feel like I am in a bit of a circle of riding, eating, resting what am I doing wrong?

Let me guess, after a long hard ride, your getting home tired, hungry and after a quick fix?
if so try making some recovery type food before you ride, stick it in the fridge and that way your not scoffing the entire contents of the cupboard. Or ring the wife/gf/mum/cat when your 30 minutes from home to cook you a jacket potato or something ready for when you arrive.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
walker said:
Let me guess, after a long hard ride, your getting home tired, hungry and after a quick fix?
if so try making some recovery type food before you ride, stick it in the fridge and that way your not scoffing the entire contents of the cupboard. Or ring the wife/gf/mum/cat when your 30 minutes from home to cook you a jacket potato or something ready for when you arrive.

Yes Walker thats exactly right, I will try that tip thanks. I am trying to be more strict on eating three healthy meals a day as well then the craving for snacks in between is greatly reduced.I think it is slowly working as I feel I am getting bit leaner.:smile:

walker

oh no, you need more than 3 meals a day dj, you need to be eating about 5-6 but of those they need to be small and healthy, a banana or an apple for brunch is still classed as a meal

Top Bottom