Can Halfords be the right choice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-s

Looking for a new mountain bike for the wife with a sub-£300 budget, I thought it best to look for something like a Trek or Specialized rather than a Halfords offering. But the Trek Skye and Specialized Myka which come in on budget actually have bottom of the range gear fitted making them less attractive than say the Carrera Vulcan or Vengeance from Halfords.

Given the amount/type of use she is likely to give it I'm sure a Halfords frame will be suitable, so it really seems like a Halfords bike is the better choice in this case. Can that be right?

Chris

PS Higher-spec'd used bike's at a sensible price/condition just don't seem to turn up in our part of the world, hence the new bike option.

Rebel Ian

Sorry but I've never found the answer to the question "can Halfords be right" to be anything other than absolutely not. For anything. Unless you're looking for dreadful customer service and like being treated as an inconvenience.

There are some decent branded bikes out there for what you'd pay in Halfords, surely?

OP
OP
C

chris-s

Leaving 'Halfords' asside as I understand a lot of people have issues with them, just talking about the quality of the bike. I'm struggling to find anything else in that price bracket that is a better spec.

Chris

PS See you're a fellow bianchi owner ;)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
ime, yes, if you've a good branch (and are buying a boardman)

carrera subway is a very good value proposition and can tolerate a degree of sensible off road use on surfaced paths and bridleways. It will not survive long in contacxt with mountains.

OP
OP
C

chris-s

She's ridden two hire bikes recently on trails, one with front shocks and one without and she much preferred the one with shocks, hence the reason for the mountain bike. The shocked bike she rode was a 'Land Rover', the unshocked one I didn't take note of the brand.

Chris

rusky

CC Addict
I have a Carerra Vulcan Disc with front shock & would recommend the Carerra range to anyone on a budget. Unless you have a good mechaninc set it up, either check it over yourself or get someone else to.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have a Carerra Vulcan Disc with front shock & would recommend the Carerra range to anyone on a budget. Unless you have a good mechaninc set it up, either check it over yourself or get someone else to.

+1 i am definitely in the budget range and i have 2 carrera road bikes and for the money they are great bits of kit, i had a subway 1 and that was great as well.

barnesy

My first move into cycling was a subway 1 about 3 years ago and its the best £220 ive ever spent, the frame is heavy but is strong, wheels werent bad and havent given me any issues in over 1400 miles of loaded touring (well i had to get the rear trued before selling it)

The tyres were okay but i upgraded to marathon pluses, good range of gears and decent brakes, very good bike for the money IMO.

Mine has taken me to work and back countless times, out for long rides on the weekend, a 900 mile tour round the coast of Ireland and a 500 mile end to end ride of Ireland, all stock except tyres and changing the chain and cassette as needed.

For what it's worth Halfords in Putney (actually BikeHut) were very good when I bought my Boardman MTB, whereas my local store (which is much bigger) is not so good. Carrera is a decent enough brand, please don't make the mistake of judging them by Apollos. but you may very well be better served by looking at Decathlon for a budget bike as they seem to be well received. Hope this helps.

Bill

Mark_Robson

I have two Carrera bikes ( both bought from different stores ). One was set up perfectly by a member of staff and the other was bought in a box and I set it up myself, and surprisingly it needed minimal adjustment.
I would say go for it. :thumbsup:

subaqua

What’s the point
For what it's worth Halfords in Putney (actually BikeHut) were very good when I bought my Boardman MTB, whereas my local store (which is much bigger) is not so good. Carrera is a decent enough brand, please don't make the mistake of judging them by Apollos. but you may very well be better served by looking at Decathlon for a budget bike as they seem to be well received. Hope this helps.

Bill

its all down to the member of staff you get too. I have 3 close enough to get to and all can be great or all can be extremely poor .

I would also second the nomination for decathlon . there are some top dollar spec bikes there with bottom drawer prices. customer service is 2nd to none IMVHO , i took mine back for its 3 month service and they replaced a bent mech hanger for free even though it states this is specifically not covered.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Sorry but I've never found the answer to the question "can Halfords be right" to be anything other than absolutely not. For anything. Unless you're looking for dreadful customer service and like being treated as an inconvenience.

There are some decent branded bikes out there for what you'd pay in Halfords, surely?
My great aunt Agatha popped into Halfords for some antifreeze last week, and on the next Friday her house fell into a large underground lake.

OP
OP
C

chris-s

Thanks for the replies. I've spent some more time cross referencing the halfords bikes along with the basic Trek/Specialized against shimano's website and it looks like a trip to Halfords sooner than later.

Unfortunately there is no Decatholon within several hundred miles.

Cheers!

Chris

Top Bottom