Can I Put a QR on a SS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Tonight I got rid of a couple of bikes

I have my eye on a Langster, question is, can I replace the bolts on the rear wheel for QR?

Is it safe and do I need to take anything else into account ?

Thanks

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It will be fine as long as you use a good quality skewer and you tighten it properly.

What bikes did you have to say bye bye to? :sad:

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
It will be fine as long as you use a good quality skewer and you tighten it properly.

What bikes did you have to say bye bye to? :sad:

No sad faces Gaz, its the start of a whole new era for me this

So, what be a GOOD Quality one then mate ?

PS, I now own a Langster SS :biggrin: (MUST get a Flip-Flop Hub)

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
[QUOTE 1518237"]
The Langster should already have a FF hub, you just need to buy the sprocket. Any standard QR skewer will be fine.
[/quote]

Its a second hand one

with CXP30 rims and the hub doesnt look flip flop TBH

Zoiders

If the Langster came with the standard wheel set it wont take a QR and I will be surprised if you can find an axle to replace it with one, it takes cartridge bearings with machined shoulders on the axle for the bushes to seat on.

Stick with track nut's.

Miche and Mavic screw on rear hubs were a favourite for converting to fixed, the skewers were much better than modern ones as were the old shimano steel ones.

The cam in them is much stronger as they were expected to run with semi horizontal drop outs - I wouldn't trust a more modern Shimano pattern one at all as they just don't bite as hard.

08 Langsters had the rear wheels replaced under Warranty by Specialized in a lot of cases as the hubs were suffering stripped threads at the lockring step.

Matty

I wouldn't do it. I run a Roadrat with a QR hub and have concluded that when it's time to change rear wheel I'll be getting a 'proper' hub with an axle. I use chain tugs, but even still can't stop the wheel moving. Not big movement, but an annoying twist, such that when you release the QR the wheel pops back straight. There is enough asymmetry in the set-up (somewhere) that the chain is nice and taught (1/4") at the tight spot, but loose enough on the slack bit to presumably allow this, most likely when accelerating hard out of saddle over bumpy ground.

Just my 2 cents.

Pottsy

Slightly off-topic (apologies), but does anyone know where I can get one of these Felt BeerNuts tools in the UK? The one off my Felt Breed is missing and I want to replace it. The link attached is for Felt in the US which don't deliver to here and the UK distributors don't answer my emails.

Any help much appreciated.

Back on topic. I'd stick with nuts and not QR as they generally slip. You'll need to carry a tool for punctures and one of these is perfect and pretty small (and a bottle opener
biggrin.gif
):

http://www.surlybikes.com/stuff/jethro_tule/

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes!

I've done over 1,000 miles on this singlespeed ...

single-speed-bike-salcey-forest.jpg

'Good' QR = good old-fashioned heavy duty Shimano or Campagnolo. No to lightweight expensive fancy Ti skewers. I know two people who tried them on their geared bikes and both were pulling their wheels out. I pulled the wheel out on my Basso when I used a Mavic skewer so I'm back on Campag and/or Shimano now.

forward-facing-ss-dropouts.jpg

No problem!

[QUOTE 1518239"]
Is it an 08 model? Rust (shoot) coloured? If so then these came with a FF hub. Why the Doris you bought it off would change this I don't know. Check the other side of the hub near the axle for the thread for the sprocket to go.
[/quote]

Doris? Are you completely unreconstructed??

QRs can be used on single speed/ fixed set ups but there is a reason that they aren't, and it's all to do with chain tension. It's just more difficult to acheive the correct tension on a wheel equipped with a QR. Bikes equipped with spring loaded chain tensioners - in the shape of their rear derailieur cage plates - have their chain tension automatically adjusted. It's why most of them come with vertical drop-outs these days. When setting the wheel on a one speed it's often necessary to undo/tighten one nut and then the other to get the right chain tension, you cant do that when the wheel tensioning device tightens both sides at once.

That's not to say it's not possible, only that it's less than optimal. Given a choice I'd always opt for a pair of nuts over a QR on a fixed or SS.

JohnTCC

Hi

for the extra security I used nuts, it is a pain at time to remember to carry a spanner but I think worth it

Just my opinion, if QR works for you great :blush:

JohnTCC

Top Bottom