Can someone explain pedals please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyberdad

Hi,

I know this might come over as really thick, but what are all the different types of pedals used for.

When I was a lad, you either had "normal" black rubber pedals (with orange reflectors), or metal pedals with leather straps if you had a proper dropped bar bike. I am not quite sure what is meant by "clipless", and the egg beater type look weird :?:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It is all very confusing until you actually get them and then it makes complete sense.

Clipless means you have some metal (or plastic) cleat in the bottom of the shoe (screwed in and cross shaped in my case) and there is a mechanism built into the top of the pedal where if you kick into it, it'll bend slightly and then bounce back so you are clipped into the pedal.

Egg beaters I think work on the same principle but are different and smaller and look like egg beaters when you see them in the shop. There are various brands and types. Most shoes just put in a different cleat if you want to use different pedal.

OP
OP
C

Cyberdad

Thanks, that explains a lot. :biggrin:

I think it will be some time before I actually feel confident to actually attach myself to by BSO. :?:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Cyberdad said:
Thanks, that explains a lot. :biggrin:

I think it will be some time before I actually feel confident to actually attach myself to by BSO. :?:

I'd recommend getting some. I only got some earlier this year. In hindsight the only downside is the cost of shoes/pedals but both should last for a long time, all the other things and worries work themselves out :smile:. To someone that doesn't have them it can still seem strange, two mates who got out with me cycling think they are incredibly weird contraptions and think they are a bad thing as it encourages "my legs to spin too fast".

For me it has done a lot. Peddling is no longer a "chore" on long rides, lagging along spin dropping to virtually a standstill, knee pains creeping in and has led to a far from perfect but much better peddling action and makes longer rides much more enjoyable.

Oddjob62

cadseen said:
Unless your just using the bike for short rides its well worth getting them.

Agreed, i've been back cycling for 3 months now, and moved to clipless about 6 weeks ago. Don't think i could go back to normal pedals now.

Top Bottom