Can Wiggins win the Vuelta?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
If he is on the form pre-crash then I think he is in with a great shot, though I've not had a look at the competion. Also, with just two time trials, is it enough for him to win off the back of these?

At least the team is looking good: Arvesen, Cioni, Froome, Lofkvist, Possoni, Stannard, Sutton, Zandio and Wiggins - though I can't imagine Lofkvist is too happy about not being the leader

raindog

er.....
Maybe - depends who else is riding. Do we know yet?

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Just had a bit of a look, a few names to throw in are Nibali (surely the favourite), Rodriguez, Anton, Van den Broeck, Kloden, Brajkovic.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Good chance of a podium, but it's hard to know whether someone has the ability to win a GT till they've either done it or mounted a serious challenge. The difference between first and second can be a galaxy apart.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I think it's more than that. He wants to show that his form this year is GT standard. I think he can get on the podium, I just don't think he has the ability to launch the kind of devastating attack in the mountains that is usually needed to gain time, but with Cadel Evans winning the TdF this year with the kind of careful, calculated ride that Wiggins likes, who knows?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
He can but it depends if there are any Mosquera style, doped-up competitors who climb with wings.

You'd say that Nibali would be favourite, I suppose, but Contador made him look pretty ordinary in the Giro. Rodriguez? Sanchez?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Rodriguez? Sanchez?

Both are on form.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Wiggins will need to make his gains in the time trials and then defend in the mountains, like Indurain used to. Trouble is in these post EPO days you can't juice the whole team up and stick them on the front for stage after stage to discourage attacks.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Sanchez may be knackered from le tour.....Scarponi is said to be racing it as well, and the route appears to be a very climber friendly course

mangaman

Sanchez may be knackered from le tour.....Scarponi is said to be racing it as well, and the route appears to be a very climber friendly course

Can't see it myself unfortunately.

A podium maybe - but a Spanish rider always seems to come good at the Vuelta.
whistling.gif

And the Spanish teams tend to co-operate.

It is also the most mountainous of the grand tours, so not Bradley's obvious turf.

If he does get a podium that would be a really good result.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Looking at it, I think it's possible that he was more likely to win the TDF than to win this Vuelta - of course this is wild speculation

Top Bottom