Can you cycle in jeans?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuraTodd

Über Member
Hi my bike has just been serviced and I have to get it. Can I cycle in jeans as I haven't got cycling trousers as yet, bit worried jeans might get worn. Apologies if this is a silly question.

Downward

Guru
Probably - Its what we all did as kids right ?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Assuming they are not too tight then yes, although make sure you secure your right trouser leg (roll it up, slap-wrap, tuck in sock, etc) so it can't get caught in the chain/rings.,

I sometimes ride to the shops in jeans. I wouldn't want to ride to far in them though as the seams are quite pronounced and if they get wet they get very wet.

zigzag

Veteran
jeans won't get worn quickly, just put some reflective bands around your ankles, so to keep your jeans away from chainrings

Jonathing

Über Member
I cycle 12 miles to work in my skinny jeans and apart from the occasional chafing around my gentleman's area if I wasn't careful when getting dressed I've had no problem. I recommend finding another solution when it's raining, wet denim is the fabric of the devil.

fimm

Veteran
I quite often ride my Brompton in jeans. I even rode my road bike in jeans at the weekend, but I wouldn't want to go far on that bike in jeans. It won't do your jeans any harm to go a short distance - just secure the leg out of the way of the chain, as others have said.

ohnovino

Large Member
+1 to everything above.

+100 to not trying it in the wet. The denim will soak through immediately and shrink to the skin. It's like riding with ice packs stuck to your legs.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I always cycle in jeans (and a denim jacket) as they're thick and protect against grazing if you come off.

I once cycled from Birmingham to Wolverhampton and back (over 30 miles) without any problems.

Norm

... wet denim is the fabric of the devil.
**shudder**

I do, often, usually just the 6 miles to town but I've worn them for longer rides, but only if it' dry.

If you want trousers for cycling, the best I've found recently were Craghoppers walking trousers for £14 from TK Maxx. I ride 10 miles to the office, wear them all day in the office (they are just about presentable enough) and hen, ovviously, riding home again. Great stuff. :thumbsup:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I cycle in jeans but they wouldn't be my first choice and I try to avoid them if I'm on the bike with the Brooks B17 saddle, the saddle and the seam don't play well together.

May have a look at those Craghoppers Norm, is it any particular model and they're not too skinny a fit are they?

Top Bottom