Can You Put Cycling to Shakespeare ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A cyclist's declaration of love
...no leave take I; for I will ride, as far as land will let me, by your side. Richard II Act I, Scene 3
Aww, how lovely :wub:
Can I use this as my new signature, Classic?
@Brandane's quote is getting replaced :biggrin:

I have never read Shakespeare in English, must do so!

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm not quite sure how mistaken identity, political backstabbing, murder, regicide, rebellion, slapstick, cross-dressing, rom-com, cannibalism (yeah, that too - Titus Andronicus) can be classed as boring... :stop:

Went to school in the Barbican (where the RSC have their London base) and we used to go quite regularly to see the RSC perform. There's something about seeing the plays performed by top-notch actors that turns it into a cut above.
Reduced Shakespeare Company?

Alan O

Über Member
I'm not quite sure how mistaken identity, political backstabbing, murder, regicide, rebellion, slapstick, cross-dressing, rom-com, cannibalism (yeah, that too - Titus Andronicus) can be classed as boring... :stop:

Went to school in the Barbican (where the RSC have their London base) and we used to go quite regularly to see the RSC perform. There's something about seeing the plays performed by top-notch actors that turns it into a cut above.
Oh, yes, definitely.

But I have to say, I think the teaching of Shakespeare in schools in the UK is dire - at least it was for me. Studying him in my early teens really was not what I wanted to do, and I found the whole exercise tedious and dull. Thankfully there wasn't much of it and school didn't put me off Shakespeare for life, and now I just love him.

Some years ago I found a Henry Irving complete set in a charity shop for £10, and I snapped it up - and it was a struggle home with the weight of the thick-paper volumes. It still has the inscription to the schoolboy it was bought for in 1910, and I'm guessing it went to the charity shop after his passing. I like to remind myself that I'm carrying on benefiting from the value of that gift (which would have been a generous one then) every time I read something, and I imagine the original owner would approve.

There's nobody in my family who'd want it when I'm gone, so I'll probably bequeath it to a charity shop in the hope that someone else will enjoy the same good fortune I did.

Elysian_Roads

Remember going on a school trip to the RSC at
Stratford upon Avon to see Othello. Bob Peck (Edge of Darkness) played Iago. Great stuff.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
This is either from Macbeth or me babbling about my Strava results.

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;

and all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death.
Out out brief candle. (edit -forgot a bit: life is but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more - end edit ) It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Macbeth indeed !

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
No, the Royal Shakespeare Company. :blush: But the Reduced bods are definitely on my bucket list. :thumbsup:

Both are well worth seeing. Every performance I've seen of the Stratford RSC has been good to excellent

And seen the other RSC a couple of times and been thoroughly entertained. They do really know and appreciate Shakespeare, so it's all quite clever as well as being fun

Oh, yes, definitely.

But I have to say, I think the teaching of Shakespeare in schools in the UK is dire - at least it was for me. Studying him in my early teens really was not what I wanted to do, and I found the whole exercise tedious and dull. Thankfully there wasn't much of it and school didn't put me off Shakespeare for life, and now I just love him.

Some years ago I found a Henry Irving complete set in a charity shop for £10, and I snapped it up - and it was a struggle home with the weight of the thick-paper volumes. It still has the inscription to the schoolboy it was bought for in 1910, and I'm guessing it went to the charity shop after his passing. I like to remind myself that I'm carrying on benefiting from the value of that gift (which would have been a generous one then) every time I read something, and I imagine the original owner would approve.

There's nobody in my family who'd want it when I'm gone, so I'll probably bequeath it to a charity shop in the hope that someone else will enjoy the same good fortune I did.

I think I was really lucky in that I had some English teachers who were really enthusiastic about the subject. Not only did we see the RSC productions, but we watched the Zeffirelli films and we acted out stuff too. Plus I was lucky that there was a community theatre near where I grew up that put on a lot of Shakespeare - used to be able to get in for a couple of quid per performance. Not only that, they did workshops, which were always worth going to.

P.S. There's something about old books, isn't there? :smile:

Top Bottom