Can you trade bicycles in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Virtual DBP

i can't think the last time i saw second hand bikes in the shop and therefore was wondering if you could trade bicycles against another model in the same way you can cars and motorbikes?

Norm

I asked in my LBS and they could not have been more negative.

There is way too much work to make sure a clunker was in a saleable condition, they would not make any money and would not even act as an intermediary.

wafflycat

Not often. Some may, however, have your bike in the shop and if sold, take a cut from the price, with you getting the balance. But a direct trade-in: not likely.

Jonathan M

Bit like any trade in as well, I'd imagine. it is a quick and easy way to off load the old vehicle, but you probably won't get the best price.

I think (& I stress I think) that Leisure Lakes near Preston sometimes had second hand bikes for sale a few years ago, but often these were "mistake" buys, where a customer had bought, rapidly regretted, and taken back, swapping for something else.

What bike do you have to P/X or sell?

Garz

Squat Member
My friend traded in his 2 yr old GT MTB and got £150 knocked off the road bike he wanted. I think it cost him £399 brand new so I told him he was a very lucky boy!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Some bikes shops do take your bike off your hands in part exchange for a new bike, but I know that particular shop won't just buy a second hand bike. Another shop I was in would of bought a bike off someone - but only if they provided proof of purchase.

OP
OP
V

Virtual DBP

jonathan - i have an old mountain bike that was not really bought for mountain biking, more for cycling with the family along country lanes and cycle paths.

used it for about 2 months and then bought my first road bike and never used it since. my middle one is getting into mountain biking and i thought that if i end up taking him to glentress, etc. regularly then i'll need to get something more suited to that activity and therefore would be looking to trade that one in against it.

i'll see in a few months time and decide what i want to do.

woohoo

Veteran
IIRC, the LBS has to add VAT onto the price when it sells a second hand bike and that erodes their margin even further.

Jonathan M

Virtual DBP said:
jonathan - i have an old mountain bike that was not really bought for mountain biking, more for cycling with the family along country lanes and cycle paths.

used it for about 2 months and then bought my first road bike and never used it since. my middle one is getting into mountain biking and i thought that if i end up taking him to glentress, etc. regularly then i'll need to get something more suited to that activity and therefore would be looking to trade that one in against it.

i'll see in a few months time and decide what i want to do.

Without wanting to sound rude, but possibly the LBS that you enquired at wouldn't take your bike because of age, model, or condition?

Top Bottom