Cannondale or Bianchi?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twozeronine

Hi

I'm looking at upgrading my Trek road bike soon, and my choice has pretty much come down to these two bikes:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bianchi/via-nirone-7-105-compact-2011-road-bike-ec025812

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/caad-8-105-cd-2011-road-bike-ec025287

Just wondering what other people's thoughts are on these. It's pathetic, but it's almost come down to whether I want a black bike or a white one
tongue.gif
, so would appreciate any input.

Out of interest, why do people not like Evans? I see posts every now and then saying they're not very good, although I've only ever had one issue with them which was several years ago.

Thanks

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Cannondale are the acknowledged experts when it comes to aluminium frames, so on that basis I would plump for that one. It also seems better value for money from a quick skim of the components, and it is a fair bit lighter than the Bianchi.

From what I've read elsewhere Bianchi have a lot of returns for warranty repairs. If it was me it would be no contest, but then we all see things differently.

nightoff

If its down to looks I would go for the Bianchi every time. It's a stunning bike IMO. It looks all the better for not being in Celeste.

I have a Bianchi Via Nirone 2010 model with a Tiagra groupset. I've done just under 1500 miles on it with the only trouble being a snapped spoke on the rear wheel @ 300 miles which the dealer sorted out under warranty.

I can't comment on the Cannondale other than it looks to have a very nice finish on the welds from the pics on the link. It seems better value on the face of it but it is important to love the looks of the bike to inspire you to ride it more.

Like nightoff, if it was down to looks I'd plump for the Bianchi and did so, I ride a 928 but I've had no problems with mine.

Plus a black bike will be easier to clean.

In the end though as Shadow says test them and see how they ride before making a decision.

OP
OP
T

twozeronine

Hehe, I must admit that I'm not that keen on the celeste colour scheme of Bianchi. It can look very nice, but the problem is that you're very limited when it comes to pimping your bike out in other colours (eg. red tyres would clash).

I do think the Bianchi looks sexier than the Cannondale, but the Cannodale would probably look nicer if you stuck some better wheels/tyres on it.

Hmm, it's pretty shallow, but I think I am leaning towards the Bianchi, mainly for the looks, and I doubt I'll notice the extra 500 grams.

I will try it/them out first though.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
As an owner, I would plunk for the Cannondale any day, they are considered one of if not the best aluminium frame manufacturers by many people. Its likely to be a bit better frame with the same groupset and roughly equivalent finishing kit. Better value for money most certainly.

IMO the Bianchi looks ugly.

Best bet is to ride them both and see what you like the feel of, CAAD's are known to be very stiff, harsh and unforgiving (nothing a carbon seatpost wont eat up though), I like them, but they dont suit everyone.

Are Cannondales really considered to be the top aluminum frame builder? I'm genuinely surprised by that.

In the past some of their models have been among the lightest available but they've also been through periods during which they suffered from truly horrendous warranty problems.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Are Cannondales really considered to be the top aluminum frame builder? I'm genuinely surprised by that.

In the past some of their models have been among the lightest available but they've also been through periods during which they suffered from truly horrendous warranty problems.

From what I have read and heard, yes they are considered to be one of, if not the best alu frame builders. If this is fact, I dont know. It is pretty subjective.

Ive heard nothing but great things about their road frames, dont know about the weights, Cannondale basically say, "weigh it youself, we arent going to advertise weights".

Dont know about the mtb frames.

They are not held in particularly high esteem in the cycle trade I can tell you - not because they are particularly bad but simply because they are no more special than the offerings from any number of manufacturers. There is a suspicion/understanding that Cannondale have propagated the myth of them being superior frames to account for the extra expense of US production. Not that they are any more though - now that production has been moved to the far east.

I just don't think they are anything special. I'd rather haver a Bianchi.

OP
OP
T

twozeronine

Thanks for all the replies. I think I've pretty much decided on the Bianchi, pending a test ride of course.

Thanks for pointing out the other options, titch. You've got me looking at the Ultegra now.
biggrin.gif

Top Bottom