Can't be bothered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C

chillyuk

I have heard it said, and experienced the same, that sometimes the hardest part of a run or ride is the bit between your armchair and the front door.
I have done a number of longer rides recently and had planned to go out today but to be honest I just can't be bothered. It is 1105 now and I am still sitting here in my dressing gown. So, is it my ageing body telling me to have a day off and recover or am I just being idle?

Thelma

I have been exactly the same this last week. I even got into my kit yesterday and still failed to drag my sorry arse out the door.

This morning, I finally did it though... only to come back 2 miles later because I couldn't hack the sodding wind.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Days off are important, sometimes your body needs a break. Trouble is, our brains are a bit stupid and it's very easy to get in the habit of not going out.

Do something else active instead for a bit to get your muscles warmed up. I find that hoovering is a great incentive to get the hell out of the house
tongue.gif

iZaP

Über Member
I find that walking up and down the stairs is almost same as cycling!

Or at least in introduces the same pain :biggrin:

exbfb

I know what you mean. I've had a few days like that too.
Eventually took myself out this morning and did a wee 13 mile loop on the local canal.
I made a point of saying "morning" to every single person I met :biggrin:

As you say, hardest bit is getting to the front door.
Don't beat yourself up about it.
I have other interests and every single one of them I have periods where I don't do very much.
That's fair enough, it's meant to be fun, not a job of work.

Bicycle

Just back from a climb up the Malvern Hills with middle child (15).

It was a training ride for him.

The wind was HORRIBLE. HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE.

It really was one of those days when we should have stayed in dressing gowns.

As it was, he looked as if he was dying over the bars a quarter of the way through.... so I zeroed his computer as soon as we got back. I didn't want him to see the time....

Whoever stayed off their bike today did the right thing.

Have another espresso, light up a Camel and read some Sartre.

Then a short stroll to get a paper, followed by a big, fat carbonara sauce on penne.

Sod the bike today.

Durian

Über Member
I find that some of my best rides happen when I've had to give myself a kick up the backside to get out of the house. Alternatively, if I'm looking forward to a ride and can't wait to get on the bike, I sometimes then find the whole thing a struggle.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I have heard it said, and experienced the same, that sometimes the hardest part of a run or ride is the bit between your armchair and the front door.
I have done a number of longer rides recently and had planned to go out today but to be honest I just can't be bothered. It is 1105 now and I am still sitting here in my dressing gown. So, is it my ageing body telling me to have a day off and recover or am I just being idle?

That sounds like me this morning, I have agoraphobia, so I'm adept at finding a reason to stay in bed, I keep reminding myself of how good it will feel when I'm on the bike, also I've got another sportive coming this month, with hills, so I'm making sure I'm getting some hills and miles in those legs!

I tend to get up early and if I can get out shortly after breakfast, I enjoy the ride or walk but if I start doing other things i.e work on the computer or in the garden then my body finds reasons for not exercising, today, because I will be away for three weeks from Sunday I made the excuse to go and get SWMBO the big bag of compost that she will use while I am away, this afternoon I will water the veg plot and hopefully have enough go in me to get out for a ride after tea. and yes I agree that the hardest part of a long ride or walk is often getting out and starting it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Listen to your body.
Today is an enforced rest day as i had a killer ride with the wind and i still have aches in my backside muscles and it is back to the commute tomorrow after nearly 2 weeks off .

davefb

Guru
just about to kick myself into going out again,, 3rd ride of the weekend.... nothing long mind you i'm suffereing from the 'winter commute layoff/lazyness' and the fact i've changed job so dont have a usefull commute ride any more :sad:..

would be amazing weather, if it wasnt for that horrid wind!!! need to find somewhere which is in cover... that or cycle up to see if the moor fires are still on :smile:

twozeronine

Glad I'm not the only one taking a break today. It is a lovely sunny day, but the wind has put me right off! Might go for a stroll in the park later instead. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom