Cape Town S.A

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wilko

Veteran
Just back from two weeks in Camps Bay, just outside Cape Town. What a fab holiday, two solid weeks of sun, right on the beach, great food and drink etc etc. But that's not the reason for this post, though I could bore you for hours! I was just amazed at the amount of cyclists on the roads. All kitted out with top end bikes and gear. In the morning there must have been thousands, and I'm not exaggerating, of guys and gals enjoying their bikes on a superb coastal road. Solo riders and in twos and groups of more. It was like having your own Tour on your doorstep. Has anyone else been here, live here and experienced it? That's it, if I come up with the big numbers on the Lotto I'm gonna move out there and just cycle every day in heaven! :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cape Town is my all-time favourite city, I just love the light, the space, the scenery, the food and wine, it's got just about everything. If you enjoyed the sight of all those cyclists you ought to go back for the 109 km Cape Argus on 14 March, which goes right round the Cape and 40,000 will ride. Here: http://www.cycletour.co.za/

I'm trying to work out a way of timing my next business trip to SA to coincide so that I can enter... watch this space!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's supposed to be great for bikes! Although not for speedskaters - my mate is from Capetown, and got taken back to the police station for skating there. No convincing the coppers on how it was no different to the cyclists.

andyfromotley

Camps bay is great. My sister used to live just over the hill in Constantia. I saw a coupke of pro teams there about 6 years ago winter training. They absolutely flew along. Nice place, nice people. Still startling inequality about and somewhat uncomfortably its pretty much along racial lines.

Top Bottom