Car crash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Demon

Hi All

I was out for ride two days ago and riding along at about 20mph. A car in front of me pulled in behind another car so I pulled out a bit to go around the two cars. The car that the first car had pulled up behind then pulled out into my path and immediately hit is brakes coming to a sudden stop. There was nothing I could do didn't even have time to try my brakes or swerve. I hit him on the near side rear end smashing his rear light and fracturing a rib on my right side. I'm now in a lot of pain but I suppose the outcome could have been worse!!

Demon

Chris S

Legendary Member
Who would be held liable for an accident like this?

Adasta

Who would be held liable for an accident like this?

I would imagine the driver that pulled out since he didn't check to see if his path was clear before he started his manoeuvre.

However, I wouldn't fancy trying to overtake two cars which were (apparently) going at some speed.

OP
OP
D

Demon

Well Chris, I do have a background in accident investigation and liability claims and I have to say, it's a tricky one. Normally the rule of thumb is that if run into the back of someone you are automatically at fault, because you didn't leave enough stopping distance, and claims can be made against you.

However, successful defences have been made by people who have run into the back of another vehicle on the grounds of reasonable behaviour of the driver of the car in front. one successful defence of this kind was made by a former colleague of mine, in a similar accident to mine, he was riding his motor bike and a car overtook him and immediately pulled in and slammed his brakes on because traffic lights changed to red my colleague, like me had no chance to stop and the court accepted this and ruled that the car driver was at fault.

In my situation, my argument would be that the driver should have seen that I was there and known that his actions would leave me no chance of avoiding a collision.

As it happened, it didn't come an argument, the driver was very apologetic and accepted he was to blame and we both agreed to stand to our own damage. mine was only scratches to the paintwork and torn handlebar tape. The broken rib will heal in time.

Demon

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Glad it's not worse - did you exchange details though. I say this as injuries can take some time to come out (broken rib is obvious).

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Oh, broken ribs are a pain. Literally. Some day the pain will go away, but not until you are well fed-up of it.

Sorry, can offer no advice on legal side.

Top Bottom