Car cycle carrier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

I've got the three bike version and they are very good.

I wouldn't buy it from Amazon, though, as there are loads of smaller companies who need the trade more than an American edifice like Amazon.

OP
OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
My towbar is a single bar coming out from the back ie there are no supports at 45 degrees on it. Will it still fit please?

Thanks

Paul

Bluebell72

I have the towball type towbar like this.

full_25th_august_2010_09_43_56_towbar-fitting-suppliers.jpg

And we fitted a Thule carrier on like the one you have shown, in about an hour.
It has been fine, only that it seemed initially less secure than another carrier I have on our other car. This is because the bike is secured with webbing type straps, rather than anything lockable.
We bought the Thule lock that locks the carrier to the towbar, but I still bought 2 motorcycle type locks to secure everything bike-carrier-car when we left it all outside a B and B.
No problems.
The carrier is easy to use, and low down, so it's easy to see what you are doing and can lift off.
If I am carrying only my bike, the carrier is far away enough from the boot lid that I can use the boot too.

Norm

My carrier fits in about 60 secs and has a pivot so you can swing it out of the way and open the rear door of the estate, however many bikes are on it.

I think I might be a little more reluctant if it took an hour to fit and had to be removed to open the estate door.

It's good kit, well thought out and easy to load and unload, IMO_

Rando

Veteran
I have the Atera Strada DL 4 bike cycle carrier that fits onto the tow bar. Highly recommend it and very easy and quick to fit onto the tow bar and can also be tilted forward to allow access to boot when the bikes are loaded. It is expensive but extremely secure with the bikes on.

Bluebell72

Apologies, I haven't explained myself properly.

From opening the box and putting all the parts together to it being ready to use took one hour, not every time!

Removing the carrier or fixing it back on takes a couple of minutes.

Norm

From opening the box and putting all the parts together to it being ready to use took one hour, not every time!
Ah ha! You were probably faster than me then, as I reckon I was playing with it in the kitchen for about an hour before I even ventured into the garage and the "tow hook of despair". (Anyone who knows Mrs Norm will understand that one :biggrin: )

Bluebell72

Ha, but this is Team Bluebell in action.

Namely, Mr B says 'pass me the long bit' and I obey mutely.
Then he says 'hold this here, while I tighten this onto here'.

Sometimes there can be a break for a cup of tea, but the slice of cake can only be had when the job's a good 'un.
He has the patience, I'm the holder-upper!

TimO

Guru
Security for bike carriers on cars is always a bit naff, there isn't a lot you can do.

I've got a Thule roof rack carrier, and the locks on that are minimal, but provide a small amount of security. I also tend to put a D-Lock on the bike itself (held onto the bike with an old toestrap to stop it rattling and damaging the bike).

I also put a Rack Security Cable like this onto the bike, and the ball end is locked inside the car. Again minimal security, but all three elements together maximise the amount of security. Obviously I also won't leave the bike on the car all that long, I'm too paranoid!

RackSecurityCable3.jpg

I ended up buying that via eBay, because I couldn't find anyone else online who had them available. A search should find one, and they aren't too expensive.

Cubist

Still wavin'
31wx%2B4BnijL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Would there be enough room for one of these to lock the Thule 2 bike carrier to the towball?

No, I don't think so. I take mine off and put it in the boot when I'm riding.

TimO, great idea, that's very similar to the long cable (4metres) that I use plus a magnum d-lock.

Top Bottom