Car Cycle Racks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stu1903

Über Member
Was looking at getting the Thule 591 cycle rack for my car. I have an alloy hardtail and a Carbon Road bike.

Will I be ok putting the Carbon road bike on the rack? May sound like a stupid question but didn't want to damage the Carbon.

Yes you'll be fine. I have two of these and while I've seen the light and don't have a carbon bike anymore :whistle: I used to put my Focus Cayo Pro on it and never had any issues.

They are a fantastic bike carrier, although if you have a panoramic glass car roof it's very unnerving seeing your pride and joy vibrating away along the motorways :wacko:

OP
OP
stu1903

stu1903

Über Member
Yes you'll be fine. I have two of these and while I've seen the light and don't have a carbon bike anymore :whistle: I used to put my Focus Cayo Pro on it and never had any issues.

They are a fantastic bike carrier, although if you have a panoramic glass car roof it's very unnerving seeing your pride and joy vibrating away along the motorways :wacko:

Thanks for that Smokeysmoo.

Just out of curiosity what made you move away from Carbon? I not looking to open a debate between those with for and against carbon, I'm just curious as I my Carbon road bike is the first I've had.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Thanks for that Smokeysmoo.

Just out of curiosity what made you move away from Carbon? I not looking to open a debate between those with for and against carbon, I'm just curious as I my Carbon road bike is the first I've had.

DONT ASK you will be foreever riding awaiting the "snap"

Just out of curiosity what made you move away from Carbon?

This:wub:
(Pic needs updating as she's now wearing Conti GP4000s boots :biggrin:)

med_gallery_16035_218_1198242.jpg

I don't want to get into another love/hate CF debate myself TBH. My views on the material are well documented in various threads around the site. There is clearly nothing wrong with CF, or Alu, or Steel or even Bamboo for that matter, (presumably). What ever material frame you are happy and confident riding is undoubtedly the right frame for you :thumbsup:

OP
OP
stu1903

stu1903

Über Member
Got the roof bars fitted today and awaiting the cycle rack to arrive.

I bought the roof bars 2nd hand in very good condition, all parts still boxed and all instructions present. The Fixing kit for my car is the Thule 3050. Now the instructions say that the brackets have a sticker on them for FL, FR, RL, RR (front Left etc) the stickers are missing on my brackets so I'm not sure which brackets are for which side, they all look pretty identical to be honest. Anyway I fitted them and they seem solid enough although I don't know if I have the LR in the LR position etc.

Does it really matter if these brackets go on the correct side?

+1, that's were a panoramic car roof comes in very handy TBH :thumbsup:

I had the choice with my new car, panoramic roof or roof rails to fit bars to, I picked the latter.

I personally use altura bars and a different make of bike carrier attached to it. the only thing I do when putting road bikes on is to attach some bungees to hold the front wheel straight to stop it wriggling and possibly working something loose.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire

I bought the roof bars 2nd hand in very good condition, all parts still boxed and all instructions present. The Fixing kit for my car is the Thule 3050. Now the instructions say that the brackets have a sticker on them for FL, FR, RL, RR (front Left etc) the stickers are missing on my brackets so I'm not sure which brackets are for which side, they all look pretty identical to be honest. Anyway I fitted them and they seem solid enough although I don't know if I have the LR in the LR position etc.

I had a set a bit like that, and I assumed that it just reminded you which one went where once you had adjusted them for your car (e.g. the front and rear may not have the same distance between the clamps...)

Peteaud

Veteran

My kit came with the stickers on a pad ready to be stuck on when its all set up.

Different kit number tho.

IIRC the Thule part numbers also give you the position on the car, the stickers being added after the first fitting to make it easier.

Dogberry

I use the Elite San Remo on my roof rack, the type where you remove the front wheel. Must admit I was a bit nervous the first time I used it the motorway ! Also got the extra forks to put the wheel in.

The whole thing is rock solid with no movement even at m-way speeds. Maybe its due to the more aerodynamic position of the bike ?

I had the choice with my new car, panoramic roof or roof rails to fit bars to, I picked the latter.

I attach some bungees to hold the front wheel straight to stop it wriggling and possibly working something loose.

My car has the panoramic roof and longitudinal roof rails, so I can fit my roof bars to the rails, then fit the bike racks to them, then keep an eye on the whole thing as I go along :thumbsup:

FWIW the Thule racks come with ratchet straps to secure the wheels :thumbsup:

newcs1

I use a saris bones rack, I know it's slightly different as its a rear hatchback fitted one bit gotta say it is superb and rock solid.

Top Bottom