Car manufacturers develop in-car radar ..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Number14

Veteran
:blush: to the station on Wednesday and I spotted a SEAT with a top secret in-car radar system that allows the driver to see over bridges and around corners so that they can overtake safely on a narrow road in the face of oncoming traffic. :smile:

I wonder what other secret developments there are in the pipeline from other manufacturers - I'm sure BMW must have a few.

PBancroft

What sort of madcap irresponsible schemes are you thinking of? Cars for blind drivers perhaps?

Matthames

Über Member
It is not a new device, Peugeot have cars with this device fitted.

I have a railway bridge on my route which has blind corners on both ends, but that didn't stop some tit in a pug from overtaking a cyclist coming the opposite way to me. It is a pity though that I had clipped my camera to one of my panniers to experiment with filming a rear view instead, otherwise I would of caught it on camera.

In situations like this, I find positioning is critical. This cyclist coming towards me was in a secondary or nearside position and left the door wide open for a car to overtake, this is a dangerous situation for every road user using or about to use that bridge. Had the cyclist taken a primary position, the pug probably would not have overtaken. The majority of drivers will not attempt an overtake on that bridge if a cyclist is taking the lane.

jimboalee

Radar.. my arse.

This is called "Remote viewing".

The ability to see places and 'real time' happenings through supraconsious thought without losing consiousness.

An 'artform'...

Wives can 'Remote view'. They say "You've been in that shed again tinkering with that bicycle".
"Errrr, yes Honey".

dondare

Über Member
Number14 said:
:ohmy: to the station on Wednesday and I spotted a SEAT with a top secret in-car radar system that allows the driver to see over bridges and around corners so that they can overtake safely on a narrow road in the face of oncoming traffic. :smile:

I wonder what other secret developments there are in the pipeline from other manufacturers - I'm sure BMW must have a few.

A Satnav that directs them to invade Poland.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
in an ideal world all motor traffic would have a tcas system (traffic collision avoidance system) which would use gps/radar data to ensure that none could crash into each other by remotely braking/steering the vehicles.

it's used on aircraft, so it could be made to work. you could even make the system control speed and make jumping a red impossible.

jimboalee

Matty said:
Just wondering if Jimbo is going to claim, amongst many other things, that he is an expert on radar now?

Strange you should say that.

Radar, as everyone knows, is the reflection of Elecromagnetic radiation (radio signals) off a surface many yards or miles away.

Radar doesn't work through solid rock, brickwork or bridges.

What radar needs to detect an object, is a reflective surface on that object. Rounded objects, other aircraft with smooth circular fuselages are no problem.
'Radar invisible' objects:- those with multi-faceted surfaces like the Stealth fighter, are a bit more tricky to see a reflection because there ( hopefully ) won't be a surface perpendicular to the direction of the signals.

Other 'Radar invisible' objects include 'Surface hugging' missiles such as the one that hit HMS Sheffield. The radar signal bounces off the sea surface and is lost into the outer atmosphere.

Another 'radar invisible' object is the "Large Triangular' object often seen over Area 51, Nevada. :wacko:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
jimboalee said:

Radar, as everyone knows, is the reflection of Elecromagnetic radiation (radio signals) off a surface many yards or miles away.

What radar needs to detect an object, is a reflective surface on that object. Rounded objects, other aircraft with smooth circular fuselages are no problem.
'Radar invisible' objects:- those with multi-faceted surfaces like the Stealth fighter, are a bit more tricky to see a reflection because there ( hopefully ) won't be a surface perpendicular to the direction of the signals.

Other 'Radar invisible' objects include 'Surface hugging' missiles such as the one that hit HMS Sheffield. The radar signal bounces off the sea surface and is lost into the outer atmosphere.

Another 'radar invisible' object is the "Large Triangular' object often seen over Area 51, Nevada. :rofl:
Smart Arse.

Matty

jimboalee said:

Another 'radar invisible' object is the "Large Triangular' object often seen over Area 51, Nevada. :rofl:

As I thought ...... not a radar expert.

Top Bottom