Car payments ruining family's life

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by SpokeyDokey, 29 Jun 2019.

1. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

This is madness. 2 daughters and 2 crazy car loans. The parents must be to blame to some extent, by not showing their daughters that they can get by without breaking the bank.
    I had a metro once I left uni, it cosy £600.
    No one needs a £20k Audi. And anyone who commits themselves to a massive loan on a depreciating asset is fool.
    She should have bought a £2k golf and this would be a non story.

RoadRider400 and Kempstonian like this.
  2. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

Somebody who thinks they need a car that costs upwards of £17,000 (new) to drive to lectures gets a valuable dose of reality that will stand them in good stead for the rest of their lives.

3. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Good spot. One daughter possibly copying the other.

4. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Buyers remorse, it is seen often among buyers of all ages. I have also come across many parents who encourage kids to take on loans to buy cars.

5. Yes ! You are correct in that statement about mortgages. We were a bit like that when we first got married. Living on one person's wages whilst the other's paid the mortgage .
    These days people seem to expect to buy a house as well as run a car , watch sky with all itsi add ons, and have the latest phone with all the apps .

Cycleops likes this.
  6. And a poor credit rating !

7. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

There might be a bit of wisdom in that - learning how to manage a financial commitment but £20k when you're a student is just ridiculous.

Cycleops and Illaveago like this.
  8. Freds Dad

Freds Dad Veteran

My dad told me when I left school that apart from a house you if you can't pay for it in cash then you can't afford it. I've passed this on to my kids along with my want or need mantra.

9. screenman

I know that and you know that, but I have certainly seen parents encouraging kids to take out that amount at younger than 23.

Diogenes likes this.
  10. screenman

The only thing my 3 boys have ever bought on tick is a house, two of the boys are now mortgage free and the third only has a small mortgage.

11. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Nail on head, blame cuture, she'll want compo for miss selling.

When i had a low paid job £40 a week i had a 45quid puch maxi.
    I wanted a RD 350 lc but they were over a grand and that's what's wrong with society today.

Fook em

12. You should have bought an NSU Quickly and kept it . Have you seen how much they are worth ? :whistle:

13. screenman

No, he should have bought a fizzy.

Illaveago likes this.
  14. clid61

clid61 Veteran

Totally agree with you. I read that yesterday too and couldn't believe they did what they did ! Reporting on it too is bad form , its not news !

Beebo likes this.
  15. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

I thought i was a grown up at 21... but looking back... nah, not on my nelly... 28 maybe

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice