Carbon fibre frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Just had my road bike out in the past few days; 17 years old and in need of an upgrade but it's not economically viable so it is time for a new bike. I'm thinking of getting one of the new fangled carbon ones - I'm a heavier than average chap so is there a weight limit on frames?

PK99

Legendary Member
mr_hippo said:
Just had my road bike out in the past few days; 17 years old and in need of an upgrade but it's not economically viable so it is time for a new bike. I'm thinking of getting one of the new fangled carbon ones - I'm a heavier than average chap so is there a weight limit on frames?

Do you think your new carbon frame will last 17 years?

Bigtwin

It depends - some do some don't.

It will certainly increase your per year average spending and frame turnover.

nigelnorris

I know from the handbook to my Tricross that Specialized express specific limits for aluminium framed bikes, ranging from 200 pounds on certain roadbikes up to 300 pounds for mine.

However they state on the website that the carbon frames have no weight limits, and the only only limiting factors are the seatposts and handlebars - around 240 lbs on the Roubaix for example. The inference would seem to be that if you are heavier than that you can just swap out the seatpost for something more robust. I'm no mechanic though, that's just my interpretation of what I read:

Linky

Linky

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
mr_hippo said:
I'll be 61 next month, do you think my frame will last for 17 more years?
If I was 61, I'd certainly be hoping for more than 17 years out of it! I'm 53 and am thinking in terms of another 35-40 years of life, at least 30-35 of them active!

MajorMantra

Some ultra-light carbon frames come with weight limits but most don't I think. You can always check with the manufacturer.

Matthew

Globalti

Legendary Member
I am sure a good carbon frame will give more than 17 years!

Recently I had the chance to compare my 1990 Harry Hall in Columbus SLX with a modern carbon bike, a Specialized Roubaix Comp, which is designed exactly with the older rider in mind. I loved the HH and wasn't really bothered about the Spesh so I think I can say I approached the test with a genuinely open mind. The difference was clear from the moment I set off up the road and the further I have ridden the Spesh the clearer it has become. The HH was a respected frame in the best steel available at the time and by any standards it was a great bike. The fault lies more with the 1990 geometry really but by comparison with the modern carbon frame the HH was brutish, choppy, too short and thoroughly uncompromising. The carbon frame by contrast is light, smooth riding and goes like a rocket as well as feeling as if it was tailor-made for my shape.

If your budget is limited Wiggle are offering the Focus Cayo at a very competitive price right now and the reviews are excellent.

Top Bottom