Carbon frames - Ribble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l4dva

Guru
Apologies if any of this has been covered already....

I am in the market for a Carbon framed bike. I have my £1000 cycle to work voucher and am willing to put in some extra (no more than £500)

I have been really really tempted by the Ribble Gan Fondo at £960 with Campag groupset, that I was planning on upgrading to the Cantaur for an extra £140.

The only problem im having is with the frame itself, I have looked around at other more well known brands Wilier, specialized etc and they all boast about there frames being the best etc etc and I can see that they have put a lot of research/effort etc into the frames from all of the write ups on there own web sites and other reviews (and the fact the pros use them).

I can't seem to find out much about ribbles carbon frames, I emailed ribble they say that the Gran Fondo is sourced from the far east from one of the 3 carbon factories in the world, but the Nero RC and higher end frames that they do are all italian.

I see many on CC are loving there Ribble Sportive Carbon bikes, dose anyone have any experience of the Gran Fondo? I am willing to travel up to preston to see them for myself/test ride but ribble have told me they dont offer test rides on any of there bikes... I found this really strange has anyone else been to ribbles store? Did they let you test ride first? Preston is absolutely miles away from me but id still be willing to make the journey but it could be pointless if they wont let me test it first?

OR...

Should I spend the extra and go for the Wilier Mortirola (£1500) Which I know has top quality frame, but lower quality components (Campag Xenon/Mirage). I have seen this bike in my LBS and really really liked it, the only issue i have is the groupset. I know if I spend the extra and go for this one I wont be able to afford to upgrade any of the groupset.

Would I be better off going for high quality frame/lower components on a Wilier or going for lower quality frame(what i assume to be lower quality frame?)/high quality components on the ribble? How much difference is there between the two frames, and the difference between the two groupsets......Where would you spend your money??

Your advise/suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

MajorMantra

One problem is that not many people will have ridden both a Ribble and a Wilier. A Wilier might well be better, but I don't know.

Have you noticed by the way that the Wilier Izoard and the Ribble Sportive appear virtually identical? I think it's very likely that the Ribble is either a copy or in fact the same frame. Of course there's no way of knowing if it's built to the same standard or with the same weaves, but it's interesting none the less.

Matthew

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Complete snobbery I know, but when I see a rider on a Ribble I can't help feeling sorry for them somehow! Mind you there was a Dave Hinde bike parked up in town this week:sad:

MajorMantra

accountantpete said:
Complete snobbery I know, but when I see a rider on a Ribble I can't help feeling sorry for them somehow! Mind you there was a Dave Hinde bike parked up in town this week:sad:

I don't think we Ribble riders really need your sympathy. :blush:

I've had a fair few comments and questions about my Sportive, all of them positive and interested. Finish-wise, there's nothing to differentiate it from one of the big brands' carbon frames.

Matthew

RedBike

I'm not sure you can put in any extra with the cycle to work scheme. Maybe the rules have changed?

The cycle to work scheme used to work by having the company buy the bike and then rent it back to you. The company were the sole owners. After a year of renting the bike you then bought the bike from the company for it's market value (normally a nominal amount).

If you paid extra you'd be in part ownership. Lord know how that works?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
MajorMantra said:
I don't think we Ribble riders really need your sympathy. :blush:

I've had a fair few comments and questions about my Sportive, all of them positive and interested. Finish-wise, there's nothing to differentiate it from one of the big brands' carbon frames.

Matthew

I should have added that I usually feel this way when you lot pass me Matthew!

ShinSplint

l4dva,

Whilst I think the Sportive Carbon is good value for money, I also think there are much better frames out there, and so there should be considering some of their prices.

I've had a Ribble Sportive since May/June last year, and its a good ride, but I have had several issues with the Campag Centaur groupset, and the after-sale service from Ribble was appauling. I don't think the bike was set up right at all in the first place.

The frame itself, although carbon, is not particularly lightweight IMO.

My recommendation is, if you can afford up to £1500, look elsewhere. There are some very good bikes to be had around that price.

HTH

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
Hmm interesting comments there thanks.

I've seen pictures and further comments on the Gran Fondo on Bikeradar from some very pleased owners so I had kind of made mind up to go for the Gran Fondo. It really dose look impressive http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12670796 http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12671057 (pink bar tape is not a good look though)

IF the Gran Fondo is as good as the few on Bikeradar say it is then I guess I will be happy. Of course the fact that after sales service would be an issue with ribble being mail order is a factor thats holding me back as well, i've read both good and bad comments about ribble re this but for the money the bike it self seems a real good deal! I guess that is the risk you take in buying from a mail order company

Cyclecraig - Do you think it would be worth me visiting Ribble regardless to get sized up for a bike? I'm not sure if I agree with the sizings recomemded on the website but then again ive been told compact frames require smaller sizes than usual frames. Also im not 100% sure what crank/stem length etc that would be best suited for me. Also do you reckon id be able to haggle money off assessories etc if I went in person.

Redbike - I have put extra in on top of my cyclescheme voucher on my last bike so its deff possible but at the discretion of the bike shop.

I still have until April before I can apply for my cyclesheme voucher so if before then I can find a bike shop that will do me a discounted Willier or somithing a little closer to the £1200 mark then I may just get it regardless of the cheaper group set on it (not sure if this is likely to happen and the store be apart of the cyclescheme as well but il keep an eye out for it) i plan to keep the bike for life so I can always replace worn parts with cantuar

Sysagent

"The Most Annoying Man In The World."
l4dva said:
Hmm interesting comments there thanks.

Cyclecraig - Do you think it would be worth me visiting Ribble regardless to get sized up for a bike? I'm not sure if I agree with the sizings recomemded on the website but then again ive been told compact frames require smaller sizes than usual frames. Also im not 100% sure what crank/stem length etc that would be best suited for me. Also do you reckon id be able to haggle money off assessories etc if I went in person.

I have a Ribble not a carbon but the EM2 Deda / Carbon frame and I am happy with it...

As for the sizing question, without a doubt it is well worth making the journey to get the right size / set-up for yourself, they have a sizing jig there and they will get the exact right sizes from this for you.

If I was in the market again though I would perhaps spend a lot more money and buy an Italian frame like a Bianchi, Colnago etc as you have a superb frame to base your bike on and can update the components when they wear or when you can afford, also don't forget the Boardman range at Halfords they are excellent bikes for the cost.

iendicott

I too have been looking at the ribble and from what I have read about them I believe they are a Deda frame (Italian) and I am also led to believe they (deda) also build frames for Dolan, Condor and a few others as well so their frame seem to be reasonably built.

Trek Trauma Chris

If you are going to spend £1500, then go to your L.B.S. asked what range he has at that price, bearing in mind that they should give you a bit of discount 10% so look at £1600-£1650 and test ride them. If they say no to test rides go else where, you probably would not buy a car at any price without a test run, so why a bike.

When I bought my Trek I spent all afternoon at the shop and rode 5 different models. Use your L.B.S. simply because if any fault's develop (and believe me they can, but that's another story) and require warranty cost's then the bike has to go to place of purchase (unless you have a full blown row with maker's as I did).

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
So....I finally managed to get up to Preston to the ribble show room. Very impressive looking kit! I think im leaning towards the Nero now which is an extra £150. The frame just looks and feels more solid and has chunkier bottom braket area. The riding position on it as well felt a lot better with a slighty lower front end than the gran fondo.The frame deffinatly is a deda frame so I'm sure it will be of a high quality. The guy in the shop was very helpfull in sizing me up and giving me advise, I was really impressed.
Even though I still feel concerned about the possible after sales service or lack of it I still have my heart set on it. The price and value for money is just way to tempting and the frame is just beautiful! I read loads of positive reviews towards ribble and some bad ones as well, so I guess it is a bit of a gamble. According to the ribble assistant they have loads of neros in stock but they haven't got any gran fondo's so hopefull shouldn't have to wait too long for it if I did order one.
I still have a couple of weeks to decide as my company's cycle to work scheme dosen't start till next month. I'm going to check out some LBS for now see what else I can get for the money, but I do tend to find as soon as you mention C2W scheme they don't want to give you any discount or allow for any haggling on price.
Just out of interest.... what are your throughs on carbon cranks? I have the option of upgrading to carbon cranks from ribble for an extra £80 ish quid (and these come in black with black chain rings...would look much nicer on the Nero's black frame I think)

GrahamG

Guru
There you go - just do it. You've had a test ride (which is more than most do when ordering from Ribble) and know what you like the feel of and you don't care about brand snobbery which sees people spend £500 extra for the same frame with a different sticker. On the cranks, go for carbon as you obviously think they looks better, for the sake of £80 you'll only end up regretting it if you don't.

Top Bottom