carbon handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackthelad

was wondering if carbon handlebars or carbon seat posts make much difference to a high end sport hybrid running 25c tyres
and in which areas like weight or comfort you benefit from on long journeys of 50 miles and above

jackthelad

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, the difference is bigger the further you ride.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Supposedly shock absorption.....

I've got an alloy framed fixed road bike, with carbon forks and carbon seat post......it's harsh compared to a top end steel bike....but the carbon 'gives' a bit more than alloy...........

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

Supposedly shock absorption.....

I've got an alloy framed fixed road bike, with carbon forks and carbon seat post......it's harsh compared to a top end steel bike....but the carbon 'gives' a bit more than alloy...........

its basically the wife bike it has carbon forks and carbon seat stays, i am just trying to get it as comfortable as possible,presently looking at lighter wheels the present ones are mavic cxp22,its just that she feels it a bit in the hands when she does big distances as she has a touch of arthritus in the hands.so trying to find out if it is worth going the distance on bars and seatpost,she does not like drop bar bikes so looking at these options for her

jackthelad

Cyclist33

Have you tried small adjustments to the saddle position and handlebar angle/height? Different length stem? I have a mate who just bought carbon flat bars, he's got the same twinges in his hands and the carbon hasn't helped. (Steel frame btw.)

Changing the position and geometry of the bike with the parts as-is, get her wrists and hands up and back so she's leaning on them less, can make a significant difference.

Stu

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

Have you tried small adjustments to the saddle position and handlebar angle/height? Different length stem? I have a mate who just bought carbon flat bars, he's got the same twinges in his hands and the carbon hasn't helped. (Steel frame btw.)

Changing the position and geometry of the bike with the parts as-is, get her wrists and hands up and back so she's leaning on them less, can make a significant difference.

Stu
Hi stu I have done a full geometry with her correct height of saddle, correct distance from stem for arm length, correct leg positioning from pedal giving correct leg position,it has helped,just trying to get it as comfortable as posible.I am under the impression if i put more carbon on the bike then this will remove more road buzz,I could be wrong and this is why I have placed it on the forum

jackthelad

snailracer

Über Member
Hi stu I have done a full geometry with her correct height of saddle, correct distance from stem for arm length, correct leg positioning from pedal giving correct leg position,it has helped,just trying to get it as comfortable as posible.I am under the impression if i put more carbon on the bike then this will remove more road buzz,I could be wrong and this is why I have placed it on the forum

jackthelad

There is no "correct" for uprightness, as far as I know.

Garz

Squat Member
Thought of new bar tap (if a dropped bar bike) or new grips (if flat bar). Also a good set of gloves help.

Agree. This is what I would try first before purchasing expensive carbon parts. The positioning might need a tweak to get the comfort right but I remember first riding my road bike it took a few rides before I just got used to that position/type of bike/bad british roads (all of these contribute).

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

I had a high end hybrid and swapped the alu flat bar for a carbon one. If you are trying to reduce vibrations then I would try something else. If there is a difference it is so small I don't think you will notice. Maybe try using these as bar ends:

http://www.evanscycl...-plugs-ec008122

earth I have already fitted the buzz ends,but thanks for the imput,its exactly what I was looking for someone who had switched and used carbon bars that would know the difference
jackthelad

Top Bottom