1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

carbon steerer

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by bonj2, 13 Apr 2008.

1. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

is there anything special you need to do differently when fitting forks with a carbon steerer?
    It's got an 'expanding wedge bung' already in for the top cap bolt to screw into so that's ok, but I'm thinking - it's ok to just tighten the stem bolts on it as you would normally or do you have to have something else in there above the wedge bung thing?

2. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

As far as I know you just don't want to go mad doing the stem bolts up. My expanding bung thing ended up just where the stem clamps on.

Someone else will be along to give their two penn'orth soon.

3. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

You really need a torque wrench if you are not experienced enough to have developed the feel for tightening clamps round carbon tubes. Overtighten and you will crush the steerer with disasterous consequences.

4. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

Ulp!
    Well, I didn't really welly it up.
    *worries*
    *goes to check*

5. OP
    OP
    bonj2

bonj2 Guest

cheers Joe
    what should the torque be, for when I do get a torque wrench?

6. Piffle. How exactly does one 'develop the feel'? Precisely how many carbon steerers have you crushed joe?

7. OP
    OP
    bonj2

bonj2 Guest

don't you reckon you do need a torque wrench then mickle?

8. OP
    OP
    bonj2

bonj2 Guest

ah, shoot! i've just discovered the wedge bung thing is too far down for the top cap bolt to reach. Is it likely to be possible to pull it up a bit?

9. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

You need a long screwdriver and a hammer. Alternatively cut it at the point where the bung is stuck. Make sure you use the right adhesive to reassemble - ideally an epoxy resin (such as araldite) as the chemical composition is the same as the carbon matrix.

10. Use a longer bolt....

11. WTF??

12. OP
    OP
    bonj2

bonj2 Guest

eh?:eek: I dont' want the steerer any shorter than it is so I'm not going to cut it. I don't understand the rest. What would I use a hammer and screwdriver for, and why would I need to reassemble it with glue?

13. OP
    OP
    bonj2

bonj2 Guest

hmmm.. that was my first thought, I could do - but do I not want the bung inside at the point where the stem is going to be tightening on it?

i'm tempted to just get this fella

14. Don't worry about where the expander is in relation to the stem. It'll cope.

15. OP
    OP
    bonj2

bonj2 Guest

can you get longer top cap bolts?