carbon steerer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

is there anything special you need to do differently when fitting forks with a carbon steerer?
It's got an 'expanding wedge bung' already in for the top cap bolt to screw into so that's ok, but I'm thinking - it's ok to just tighten the stem bolts on it as you would normally or do you have to have something else in there above the wedge bung thing?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
As far as I know you just don't want to go mad doing the stem bolts up. My expanding bung thing ended up just where the stem clamps on.

Someone else will be along to give their two penn'orth soon.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You really need a torque wrench if you are not experienced enough to have developed the feel for tightening clamps round carbon tubes. Overtighten and you will crush the steerer with disasterous consequences.

Smokin Joe said:
You really need a torque wrench if you are not experienced enough to have developed the feel for tightening clamps round carbon tubes. Overtighten and you will crush the steerer with disasterous consequences.

Piffle. How exactly does one 'develop the feel'? Precisely how many carbon steerers have you crushed joe?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

ah, shoot! i've just discovered the wedge bung thing is too far down for the top cap bolt to reach. Is it likely to be possible to pull it up a bit?

Dave5N

Über Member
You need a long screwdriver and a hammer. Alternatively cut it at the point where the bung is stuck. Make sure you use the right adhesive to reassemble - ideally an epoxy resin (such as araldite) as the chemical composition is the same as the carbon matrix.

Dave5N said:
You need a long screwdriver and a hammer. Alternatively cut it at the point where the bung is stuck. Make sure you use the right adhesive to reassemble - ideally an epoxy resin (such as araldite) as the chemical composition is the same as the carbon matrix.

WTF??

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Dave5N said:

eh?:eek: I dont' want the steerer any shorter than it is so I'm not going to cut it. I don't understand the rest. What would I use a hammer and screwdriver for, and why would I need to reassemble it with glue?

Top Bottom