Cardiff to Croydon - route advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Is there a trick to turn this into a visual and zoomable map ? Or am I hampered by viewing it on my phone ?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A few hardy CCers will be riding from Cardiff to Croydon in the summer. Plan is to leave Cardiff at midnight. This is the proposed route and any local knowledge on alternate routing or really cracking roads that must be sought out will be most welcome.

Thanks
Are you going across the bridge in the dark? I found it scary enough in daylight, imagination would surely make it worse at night. I'm not scared of heights, just of falling from them......

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Is there a trick to turn this into a visual and zoomable map ? Or am I hampered by viewing it on my phone ?
I was able to zoom on my iPad, the bit past Bristol looked ok as far as I caould see.... I take it you want to stop at Aust services that it loops up round there.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I don't know the route or areas concerned but from just looking at the map I can't see any reason why you're going through Swindon. There appear to be some decent alternative B roads south of the M4 instead which spit you out back onto your planned route. Perhaps it's just my natural 'avoid towns at all costs' instinct kicking in!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I don't know the route or areas concerned but from just looking at the map I can't see any reason why you're going through Swindon. There appear to be some decent alternative B roads south of the M4 instead which spit you out back onto your planned route. Perhaps it's just my natural 'avoid towns at all costs' instinct kicking in!
As it's an overnight ride we would need foodie joints that are open all hours or at certain times. Swindon at 80miles in has a 24hr MaccyD's.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
As it's an overnight ride we would need foodie joints that are open all hours or at certain times. Swindon at 80miles in has a 24hr MaccyD's.

Ah of course, should have spotted that -makes sense!
Personally it's not a MacDonalds I'd need after 80 miles through the night but a funeral parlour!

robjh

Legendary Member
Seeing as you've decided to go through Swindon, the road you've chosen from there to Hungerford is a good one for a balance of speed, scenery (though maybe irrelevant if it's night) and light traffic. A steep climb out of Swindon at Liddington however, but nothing you guys can't cope with:bravo:

U

User10571

Ross, it could be worth your while to tap TimO to see if he still has the route (I'll bet he has) we rode back from Bath when Pippa thought such a ride would be a good idea.
My recollection is that it was steeped with pretty and not too much climbing - other than climbing out of Bath.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I have relevant knowledge of much of the route, mostly reasonably up-to-date.

From Cardiff to Chepstow the plan looks sound enough, but you wouldn't go far wrong at any time of day if you simply followed the A48. In any event, I think I'd probably use the A48 to pass Newport to the south - more space, less built up, fewer traffic lights.

At Chepstow, a cycle track follows the A466 and heads straight onto the bridge. There's no need to go into Bulwark unless you particularly want to. The bridge is great at any time of day or night. The most obvious approach takes you to the northern side, but if you find yourselves on the southern side, don't worry, there's no need to turn back.

The route passing Bristol to the north looks as good as anything you could achieve, and the climb over the Cotswolds at Old Sodbury is the one I'd always do in that area unless I wanted to make my life difficult.

Personally, I'd head through Castle Combe to Chippenham and take the A4 from there. I know it looks a bit unimaginitive, but most of the time the A4 is unusually wide, very scenic, not particularly busy, and you can ride for miles with little opportunity for cyclists and drivers to get stressed about each other. If you do decide to go via Swindon, I strongly suggest that you consider taking the Lambourn Valley from Ashbury to Newbury. This is a scenic marvel, often little short of cycling perfection. The A road from Swindon to Hungerford is pretty, but it can be a bit of a racetrack (for cars, that is).

From Newbury onwards, I'd still say there's no compelling reason not to stay on the A4.

I hope this helps!

Top Bottom