Cardiff to Swansea, by Moonlight: 14 June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Well, hopefully by moonlight. The idea is to follow the old Cardiff-Mumbles FNRttC route (kindly supplied by theclaud). If you've ridden on of the Cardiff-Swansea FNRttC you'll know that this ride is special. It has some of the most enchanting cycling of any ride I've done.

We leave the Millennium Centre in Cardiff Bay at midnight. It is, I hope, a landmark that's fairly easy to spot...

1054_11_2-wales-millennium-centre-canolfan-mileniwm-cymru_web-jpg.jpg

After leaving Cardiff we'll drift down the delightful hedge enclosed lanes to Llanwit Major, after which things open out, but are no less wonderful for that. With a bit of luck, we'll be able to catch sight of the moon reflecting off the Bristol Channel. Continuing past Ogmore to rest and (dare I say it) sustenance at the 24 hour McDonalds at Bridgend. Afterwards, we'll admire the fires of Mordor in the dawn... by which I mean we'll have a good view of the steel works as we pass through Port Talbot. There is an admittedly tough climb to get to Neath, but does show the character of the valleys. Then the last swoop down to Swansea and the final, glorious few miles along Swansea Bay to Mumbles, which is as good an ending as you'd expect from the Welsh Riviera.

It's about 65 miles, all at an unhurried pace: we've got all night, so there's no rush. No one gets left behind. I expect to get into Swansea round about 8 or so in the morning. This is not a FNRttC, so there's no form filling or anything like that. An expression of interest would be helpful though for an idea of numbers.

Expressions of Interest

@theclaud
@Shadow
@GrumpyGregry (pending oracle consultation)

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Same night as the FNRttC to Cambridge, which I'll be doing instead. Please remember to have the traditional pause for jazz hands.....

OP
OP
Wobblers

Wobblers

Euthermic
Same night as the FNRttC to Cambridge, which I'll be doing instead. Please remember to have the traditional pause for jazz hands.....

Alas, the date clash couldn't be helped: I'd have preferred another time, but this is the only date within the next six months that the moon will be in the right aspect. I want to at least try and recreate the first, magical experience which means that for my purposes, the 14th June was the only feasible option - any date after October would, I fear, be beyond even theclaud's ability to command the weather to her bidding!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
They shake some of the finest milk on earth on Mumbles pier... the prospect of a continuance west, "ar y Trên" - as they say in those parts, to Little England Beyond Wales to visit Eldest Sister Beyond Gregry is... well... lush.

Let me consult widely. Entrails and oracles included.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Having consulted oracles and then wrestled manfully with the GWR website - godawful: once you've booked, the details of seat and bike reservations on the so-called "dashboard" don't match what their confirmation emails say - it appears I'm coming.

I'll be the slow one at the back. ;)

OP
OP
Wobblers

Wobblers

Euthermic
Oh yes: I'm not letting those tickets I forked out on go to waste! Claud's recruited a few of the locals so it looks like it'll be a small and definitely select group.

I've not dared look at the weather forecast yet, but @theclaud's taking care of that... :whistle:

OP
OP
Wobblers

Wobblers

Euthermic
The Nickyboy defence :ohmy:

You weren't there in 2012 when the rain stopped and the breeze swung round to a SE tailwind just before midnight - all at TC's command. This is the standard you'll have to meet if you want the job. ISTR that TC was going to blame me if the weather hadn't turned, so historical precedent makes this the theclaud defence...

Top Bottom