Carlton Criterium Restoration P1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:biggrin: After a conversation in a supermarket with a friend just before Christmas my Wife bought me another second-hand racing bike to restore "a pressie for the festive season" (could it be She was happy that I had just sold one of my motorbike collection) Well Father Christmas came & there it was one of Worksops finest a 22inch framed Carlton Criterium needing a bit of TLC having spent the last 25 years unused this one has a few rust spots but the bike on the whole is still very saveable & well worth the effort it is going to get in the future weeks to come :biggrin:
So far I have pumped up the tyres.
Oiled/WD40,d all the chromework etc.
Removed the Brooks seat & given it some much needed hide food.
Given it a good wash with car wash shampoo.
Oiled the chain.cables etc
Next step is strip it down & give it a very careful rebuild but that will only be after My Carlton Clubman rebuild is finished more pictures soon :biggrin:

Attachments

• CA1.jpg
    CA1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 326
  • CA2.jpg
    CA2.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 267
  • CA3.jpg
    CA3.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 232
  • CA4.jpg
    CA4.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 436059941_o.jpg
    436059941_o.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 209

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
:biggrin: After a conversation in a supermarket with a friend just before Christmas my Wife bought me another second-hand racing bike to restore "a pressie for the festive season" (could it be She was happy that I had just sold one of my motorbike collection) Well Father Christmas came & there it was one of Worksops finest a 22inch framed Carlton Criterium needing a bit of TLC having spent the last 25 years unused this one has a few rust spots but the bike on the whole is still very saveable & well worth the effort it is going to get in the future weeks to come :biggrin:
So far I have pumped up the tyres.
Oiled/WD40,d all the chromework etc.
Removed the Brooks seat & given it some much needed hide food.
Given it a good wash with car wash shampoo.
Oiled the chain.cables etc
Next step is strip it down & give it a very careful rebuild but that will only be after My Carlton Clubman rebuild is finished more pictures soon :biggrin:

Its all there and doable. Look forward to the refurb!

Its all there and doable. Look forward to the refurb!
:biggrin: I had a bit of spare time this morning so a few more pictures of the bike I removed both the mudguards/seatpost & seat & gave them all a good clean.scrubbed both the chrome wheels with a mixture of 151 multi purpose oil & duckoil & then cleaned/polished them up & re- oiled them seems to have got the better of the light rust.Both tyres have both stayed up so I will refit the seat/stem tomorrow & give it a quick spin :tongue:

Attachments

• DSC03215.JPG
    DSC03215.JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC03216.JPG
    DSC03216.JPG
    496.3 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC03217.JPG
    DSC03217.JPG
    320.1 KB · Views: 166

Spokesmann

Its a very attractive cycle, I love the large flange hubs and chrome fork ends - great combination.

It needs a Svelto mech on there and the brake levers need attention.

Some arrogant goon on another forum described mine as being made with gas piping. Apparently he did not like the fact it won retrobike of the month in November. I let him know what I though of him.

Keep the pics coming. The decals look in good nick!

Its a very attractive cycle, I love the large flange hubs and chrome fork ends - great combination.

It needs a Svelto mech on there and the brake levers need attention.

Some arrogant goon on another forum described mine as being made with gas piping. Apparently he did not like the fact it won retrobike of the month in November. I let him know what I though of him.

Keep the pics coming. The decals look in good nick!
:biggrin: Carlton,s made from gas pipes? Mmmmmmm I would not bother too much about idiots who don,t know what they are on about I,v just read the thread on the other forum & its the other fella,s bike thats made out of gas pipe & the comment about Halfords just made me laugh a case of sour grapes or should that be French sour grapes! I only read good things about your restorations Mike prob why your bike won outright & rightly so.If my Criterium turns out half as good as one of yours I will be more than happy Brake levers will be getting some NOS Carlton hoods & a retape very soon I really like this bike its a good one :biggrin: :biggrin:

Part 2 of the restoration; Cleaned/Oiled all the chromework inc the peddles & wheels bolted it all back together. I,m fitting 2 new tyres a pletscher rack & replacing some of the chrome bits/bobs.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC03218.JPG
    DSC03218.JPG
    385.3 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC03219.JPG
    DSC03219.JPG
    463.9 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC03221.JPG
    DSC03221.JPG
    440.9 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC03222.JPG
    DSC03222.JPG
    348.1 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC03223.JPG
    DSC03223.JPG
    396.9 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC03220.JPG
    DSC03220.JPG
    333.4 KB · Views: 152

Spokesmann

Thats looking very nice. Such an attractive bicycle. The Colour and combination of chrome, alloy and typography/graphics is just wonderful.

How doe it ride?

Spokesmann

:biggrin: Rides very nice Mike & thanks for the kind comments.The bikes getting there it just needs a bit more graft. I need a nice alloy bike pump any ideas where I can get one to fit other than eBay? :biggrin:

Make sure you get the right size!

Ive gotten some in the past from St Johns. Ebay is worth a punt too.

My second Criterium had the original taper nose pump - rare as hens teeth as they always get lost/abused!

Spokesmann

Thats looking very nice. Such an attractive bike. Loving the old Pletscher rack too - I still have a couple of these and they work well with panniers or just using the spring loaded retainer.

One thing though, Id give the wheels another bashing with something like Autosol metal polish. Love that colour scheme and matching graphics!

Thats looking very nice. Such an attractive bike. Loving the old Pletscher rack too - I still have a couple of these and they work well with panniers or just using the spring loaded retainer.

One thing though, Id give the wheels another bashing with something like Autosol metal polish. Love that colour scheme and matching graphics!
:biggrin: Mike the wheels have come up really nice the chrome is very good its just grease on the wheel rims I,v put it on to save them from the damp horrible weather up here (I,m using the bike each morning till my Raleigh Magnum,s ready to hit the road & take over the job):thumbsup:

Spokesmann

Hi there, thanks for letting me know - was getting worried...

Here's a Criterium from about 72/73...
1972Criterium.jpg

Love that mauve paint job.

Top Bottom