Carp...I can't get my pedals off !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I need to remove my pedals so the bike can go on a plane soon, but the left pedal seems to have been welded on:angry:

I have tried a hammer, spanner (which broke), lot's of WD 40, the allen key thing and even pouring boiling water over it followed by icy water...still it's firmly STUCK.

I have shimano spd double sided ( I forget the full name..is it M520 or something like that??) The pedal 'arm' (are those called cranks?) are aluminium shimano...pretty sure they are bottom end...they came supplied with the bike...I see logos for Tiagra and Deore but I dont think that has much to do with the bloody pedals being stuck.

I tried the standing on the spanner thing but the spanner broke! I even used a heavy duty steel heavy mallet on the spanner! The LBS also couldnt remove the dam thing

...what next...the firebrigade??

dodgy

The left handed pedal is on a left hand thread, you might be inadverntently tightning it!
Dave.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Sh*t really??...this is possibly more embarrassing than some of my clipless moments...hmm...wot to do...I know..I will engage brain first and try again. Ta.

dodgy

Tie a rag around the interface between pedal and crank and spray liberally with WD40. The rag will stop the joint from going dry and keep the WD40 working at the joint. It won't magically fall off, but it's what I always do with a seized component. Leave it a couple of hours and try again.

But to be honest, you might now need some quality workshop grade tools to get it off. A gert big Park Tools pedal wrench would probably get it off.

Dave.

dodgy

Might be easier for you to take the crank off instead and worry about the pedal when you come home.

Dave.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I thought about removibng the crank too but thought it best to steer clear as I have no clue what i doing. I will try the rag and wd 40 thing and then try again, turning th eother way this time lol!

What is interesting is that the LBS couldnt remove it...surely they know which way to turn the thing??..or dint they actually try I wonder?...hmm...

dodgy

Experienced bike mechanics know every trick in the book, I'm surprised they didn't get it off. But it's difficult to know why, lack of effort (same bike shop as your last experience?) or perhaps it's been tightened so much it's impossible?

Dave.

domtyler

Über Member
Have you thought about hack-sawing them off?

phoenix

Just removed my pedals after about 18 months and they where very tight. It helps to use a good quality allen key (8mm iirc) preferably one that is mounted so it fits onto a ratchet. Then you can apply some proper force to it.
Soaking a rag with wd40, engine oil or similar and wrapping around the seized bolt overnight can sometimes work as can applying heat to the bolt.

Disclaimer - I have used all of these effectively whilst working on cars in the past but cannot guarantee that they will work on a bike.

When you come to refitting pedals use grease, copperslip or something similar to stop them seizing again.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

RESULT!!

The good news is that turning the spanner the right way helped a lot!;)...there are now two pedals on the floor and none on the bike:smile:. It's technical support like this that makes Cycle chat the place it is:biggrin:. many thanks.

dodgy

Glad we were able to help, told you that I'd standby to help you in the future :biggrin:
By the way, your bike shop isn't up to much! Name and shame!

Dave.

Bigtallfatbloke said:
RESULT!!

The good news is that turning the spanner the right way helped a lot!:biggrin:...there are now two pedals on the floor and none on the bike:smile:. It's technical support like this that makes Cycle chat the place it is:biggrin:. many thanks.

Get yourself a bike stand! Makes 'simple' jobs like this so much easier! :sad:

Top Bottom