Carradice Saddle Bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

Hi guys, I'm fed up of riding to work with a rucksack as it gives me a sweaty back, and with no showers I need to stay as cool as possible. Which Carradice bag do you reckon would be most suitable for carrying:

T-Shirt and occasionally jeans,
Winter Jacket and Tights,
Lunch,
And a bit more extra room in case I need to bring anyhitng home.

Was looking at the Barley maybe? Also how easily do they attatch, or is it best to go with one with the quick release attatchment thingy?

Cheers
Steve (I'll be wearing SPD sandles and growing a grey whispy beard next;))

mercurykev

Get a Nelson Long Flap and a SQR uplift, which attaches to your seat post and allows you to easily remove the bag. It's a great commuting bag and the long flap allows you to pick up shopping on the way home.

The Barley is a nice bag, great for audax riding, but it's a little small.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
You'll not fit that lot in a Barley.

Nelson Longflap, or Lowsaddle Longflap at minimum.

My review of the lowsaddle (along with some shots of the interior) is in the reviews bit here.

You can bodge them onto a modern saddle, but they work best on proper saddle loops or the SQR system.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'd go look at a few. The Barley is not so big at 7L but would just get your basic kit in depending on how big your jacket packs and how large your lunchbox (Fnarr) is. There would be a bit of extra space but not much.
I reckon something larger, one of the 15L bags would be good, Pendle or Nelson Longflap. The Longflap is handy because it extends the volume if needed.
Side pockets are good for carrying spare tubes and tools etc.
I'd also go for a quick release SQR system, works a treat and so convenient to carry-off the bike.

AlanW

Guru
Steve

This is what you want, the Carradice Sport QR Sport and the Barley saddle bag.

11813352mainbagman5.jpg

As used by yours truly. Fits in seconds with 1 x M10 Allen screw, brilliant piece of kit. And to think that I spent 20 years or more riding with either a rucksack or a bonk bag, before going down the saddle bag route.:ohmy:

Oh.....and don't carry your trousers, leave a pair at the shop, together with your shoes/trainers.

cateye.jpg

PS
Keep on eye on my new wheels that Tim is building for me. :ohmy:

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Looks just the ticket Alan, I don't suspose I oculd come round in the not so distant future with my kit just to check that it all fits in there nicely? Won't be carrying trousers everyday, just occasionally for wash duties, and shoes live at work as well :biggrin:

P.H

Über Member
AlanW said:
Steve

This is what you want, the Carradice Sport QR Sport and the Barley saddle bag.

That looks great, that's with the QR version of the Bagman. If you use the std version where the bag fits the saddle, the slightly larger Pendle fits the frame better. I originally bought a Barley and swapped it for a Pendle.

AlanW

Guru
Young Un said:
Looks just the ticket Alan, I don't suspose I oculd come round in the not so distant future with my kit just to check that it all fits in there nicely? Won't be carrying trousers everyday, just occasionally for wash duties, and shoes live at work as well :biggrin:

Not a problem, just give me a shout, or failing that I'll take it to Slipstreamers one week maybe?

I would also add that the saddlebag really benefits from having a thin piece of Perspex/plastic fitted on the inside, otherwise the bag just sags over the two rails. :laugh:

Also, and not wishing to slate the wonderful Carridice products.

BUT......on the underside of the saddlebag is sewn a large reinforcing patch. However, the bad news is that the rails on the QR Bagman support are just that little bit wider than the afore mentioned patch. :wacko:

Consequently over a period of time where the saddle bag rubs on these two droppers it has worn a hole in it. :biggrin:

dsc04664o.jpg

AlanW

Guru
Oh, and with a little thought and half of a Cateye rear mounting bracket, plus a couple of repair washers and a M5 ss screw & nut, you can fix your rear light to the Bagman support as well. ;)

qrbagman.jpg

AlanW

Guru
Noodley said:
Transporting 'things' shouldn't be as complicated or as expensive as Carradice make it.

:biggrin::wacko:

Surely the same can be said for almost anything?

But in defence of the QR Bagman support, it is very well engineered and very well made. I'm talking about the actual clamp arrangement and the two spring release's, not the one piece of bent stainless steel bar. ;)

mercurykev

Noodley said:
Transporting 'things' shouldn't be as complicated or as expensive as Carradice make it.

:smile::wacko:

If Carradice equipment is too expensive and complicated, you could always just use a Farmfoods bag - cheap, waterproof and voluminous: a cyclist's dream. :bravo:

Noodley

mercurykev said:
If Carradice equipment is too expensive and complicated, you could always just use a Farmfoods bag - cheap, waterproof and voluminous: a cyclist's dream. :smile:

Indeed.

And always at hand for rain, hail, snow, or gulls..

PpPete

Legendary Member
Bagman QR or SQR?

So what do people prefer....?

The Bagman QR (pictured up-thread) or the SQR system (see below)

I'm thinking of a Pendle sized bag for longer day rides, although may want something bigger when it gets round to the LEL.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
porkypete said:
So what do people prefer....?

The Bagman QR (pictured up-thread) or the SQR system (see below)
I just use the bag loops on my Brooks, innit.

HOWEVER.

I'd go for an SQR if I didn't, because a couple of extra SQR blocks would mean that the bag could go on any bike. If swappability not a concern, I guess the question is which you like best.

Bear in mind (if I remember correctly) that the Bagman comes in two sizes, one for the smaller bags & one for the larger, which could mean that you'd need different ones for your Pendle and (say) Camper Longflap.

Top Bottom