Carradice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm looking at one of these. I currently have a Deuter Bike 1 for commuting and this year I have a couple of trips that will require some spare shorts, light trainers and a couple of t shirts along with the usual couple of spare tubes etc. Will the Carradice be enough for that? Also does it get in the way of your legs etc?

Cheers

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I don't have a Nelson, but my SQR Slim is only fractionally bigger (16 litres) and would take that I think.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I have the Pendle and at 11 litres it is big enough for a large flask, a packed lunch, maps, jacket & all the usual bike stuff, so the Nelson at 15 litres should be big enough for your needs. The rails on a Brooks saddle keep the bag away from the back of the legs as well.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I have the nelson low saddle as I've got a small frame (not that you have problems with that!) -it's excellent- I think my version is the longflap which extends out to up it's capacity. The only issues are:
Get a plastic insert for the bottom as the bag will sag through the bagman (my feeling is that a quick release support is very useful- others may feel differently) and rub on the tyre- not sure this will be an issue with a larger frame but it's note worthy. If you do use a bagman- be careful of the little sliders to take your bag on and off as the first one broke under normal use after only a month- the slider spring bounced out and wouldn't sit in properly again- Carradice were fantastic with the customer service though and sorted this out with a replacement.

Reactions: gaz
I'm looking at one of these. I currently have a Deuter Bike 1 for commuting and this year I have a couple of trips that will require some spare shorts, light trainers and a couple of t shirts along with the usual couple of spare tubes etc. Will the Carradice be enough for that? Also does it get in the way of your legs etc?

Cheers

Yes, and then some! Thats double the capacity on the Barley (7 litres) I use daily, on a 2 night tour (hotel, friends house) last year I had:

Main Pocket

Spare cycling top in case was cold (didnt need, actually ended up taking 1 layer off and adding to bag)
Trousers for evening
T-Shirt for evening
2 sets spare underwear and socks
Big Lunch on Day 1
Extra 1ltr bottle
Some other bits I forget, snacks and a book I think.

Side 1 - Multitool, Levers, Inner Tube
Side 2 - Chocolate, phone, bank cards, plasters, paracetamol, phone

Strapped on top (you cant do this with a nelson as it lacks the loops) - Waterproofs (full set), overshoes.

Now I could have taken more, but tool wise I knew I was never more than a 90 min walk from a train station and both evenings I had shower and bed waiting. The weather was also predicted (and stayed) dry so minimum spare clothes needed.

I will say with the waterproofs strapped on top I could feel it touching my backside, but not enough to annoy and after a mile or so I forgot about it.

BTW Others tour more, with less!

PS I use the Bagman QR, without inner bag padding as mine seems to hold its shape well

Holdsworth

Über Member
I use on the road bike a Nelson Lowsaddle in conjunction with a Bagman Q/R mount. I found the Bagman useful for quick mounting and de-mounting when I was commuting as it saved faffing around with bag loops and buckles every day. The 15 litre capacity is more than enough for commuting and the "longflap" will allow you to overstuff the bag when needed for carrying up to 18 litres. Sometimes I find it to cavernous for weekend rides so I may get a wedge bag for when I don't need to carry as much.

TBH I'd always go for one with the loops on top, it just makes it so much more flexible e.g. I have a fibre flare which can be mounted to the top of the bag

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Cheers Ross. I might pop round after Southend and pick it up

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'd recommend getting the Longflap version of the Nelson. It's useful if something's wet or muddy, as well as for the extra storage.
A saddlebag mounted direct to saddle bag loops and attached to the seatpost generally will brush the back of the thighs. Using a support like the Bagman will move it far enough back not to touch, or you could use a spacer between the back of the bag and the seatpost (I'd suggest a 4-5" bit of PVC pipe, with a toestrap through the middle instead of the supplied strap).
For a Bagman, I reckon the QR version is worth the extra.

theloafer

Legendary Member
i have the camper longflap..:thumbsup:(20 years now) never had any probs with it catching the back of my legs and you dont have to fill it ...:whistle: but if you need the extra space it can come in handy...^_^

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Thanks for all the responses. I'll try Ross's Barley out then I think the longflap version with a bagman seems to be the way to go if I get on ok with the Barley.

Carradice is about 100 yards from my mum's house, I wonder if they'll give me a tour and a discount!!

Top Bottom