Carron Valley Trails, Anyone Been?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
A few of us are looking to go there next weekend. What's it like? Tame, bike/fat pig breaker?

Mr Pig, I've been there a few times, it's pretty good, one slightly tricky but very short downhill section called "Kelpie Staircase" should be no problem, and if you really don't like the look of it you can easily walk this very short section. The last descent is good fun, lots of table tops for maximum air, last time I was there the higher parts were covered with a nice layer of frozen snow which made things interesting. It's quite short so if your are feeling fit a couple of laps is easily possible, or you can just take a short cut from the car park up to the top and do the final descent several times.

Keep away from front wheel landings and I'm sure you'll have a big smile on your face.

Have fun

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-6P6HMZ

GilesM

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
No one else been? just like to know if I'm going home in an ambulance! ;0)

Don't worry about it, it really isn't dangerous if ridden carefully and if any bits concern you just walk, especially the first time.

Have fun

jassy-x

...hey Mr P...I take it this means your ruling out the forum ride then?????

......which day are you doing the Carron valley trails...if its on the Sunday (19th) we could maybe meet-up at Carron bridge for a chin-wag ????

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

jassy-x said:
I take it this means your ruling out the forum ride then?

Sorry, forgot all about that, but I wouldn't have been doing it anyway. I'm not up to that distance right now I don't think. Thanks for asking though :0)

We're going to that trail on Saturday 18th at about 8am. I was going to mail you and ask if you wanted to come although I thought you'd be busy on a Saturday? You're more than welcome if you can make it? Anyone is.

jassy-x

Mr Pig said:
We're going to that trail on Saturday 18th at about 8am. I was going to mail you and ask if you wanted to come although I thought you'd be busy on a Saturday? You're more than welcome if you can make it? Anyone is.
.....cheers Mr P..I wouldn't mind doing that kind of stuff, but I havn't got the right bike for the job at the mo.....will have to invest in something a bit more rugged first........I cycled the Carron valley road on Sunday morning there, and was passed by at least 1/2 dozen cars with MTBs on racks....and I did think at the time that it's a shame to have all those good trails on my doorstep and not take advantage....definately something to think about for next year.....have a good one....

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Well we drove over in the van this morning, teeming of rain! The Lord smiled though and it stayed off just about the whole time we were there, although there was plenty of standing water/puddles for us to splash through.

It was as tricky as I thought it might be but I didn't try to go too fast so only had one very minor off. Chickened out of the first stone staircase thing but turned out there were lots of them so just went down them.

Went over the first double jump thing too fast and unintentionally took off! Kept both wheels on the ground over the rest of them. I'm too old and fat for that nonsense ;0)

As we were there very early in the morning, and it was a miserable day, we had the place to ourselves, although there were five cars with racks in the car park when we got back. The track was a lot shorter than I thought it would be, we normally do about three times that distance on a Saturday morning, so in future we might just go around again. Now that we know what it's like I think it'll be more fun the next time :0)

The thing is that I've got hills and trees out my back door! What I'd like to do is explore around where I live and string together an off road trail. That would be cool.

MichaelM

Guru
If you enjoyed Carron Valley, I'm sure you'll enjoy the Red and Blue routes at Glentress also. The Red is quite a bit longer than Carron Valley, with more climbing.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

MichaelM said:
I'm sure you'll enjoy the Red and Blue routes at Glentress also.

I think I'd need a bit more practice before going somewhere busier, I'd feel like an idiot plodding around like an old man and holding everyone up ;0)

Are the red routes at Glentress similar to the red ones at Carron Valley? Of the blue ones are harder you can keep those! Carron Valley is about my stretch I think.

I'm sure I'll end up at Glentress. My mates want to go and I'll be Mr Wimpy if I don't go.

MichaelM

Guru
I haven't been for a while, but I'd say that the Red at Glentress is similar to Carron Valley - but probably more intersting with fewer sections of fire road. There's quite a climb to the top, but much of it is on interesting singletrack.

The Blue is a very well laid surace (similar to the play park at Carron Valley) but the jumps are not as big (actually, I can't remember any jumps) - it's nice and swoopy :-)

Don't be concerned about others, there's all types there.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

MichaelM said:
similar to the play park at Carron Valley

Play park? I don't remember seeing that. Whilst on the subject, I don't think that Carron Valley is very well signposted. I had printed off a map of the trails but at one point we were standing in the forest next to a sign post simply trying to work out where we were. All they needed to do was put numbers on the posts and mark the numbers on the map and you'd be able to tell exactly were you were at a glance. We headed for the car park not being 100% sure we'd done all the trails.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

MichaelM said:
The continuous swoopy, jumpy section at the end that pretty much brings you out at the car park.

Oh right. Yes, we did that. It's called the runway, final approach, that sort of thing? That's the bit where I accidentally took off over the first double jump! ;0)

Top Bottom