Carrying a laptop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
does anyone do this daily? Just wondered how you do.
its a prehistoric monster that work want me to use, and i'm just trying to think of an easy way to do this, without making it a chore.

Davidc

Guru
I do occasionally, not daily.

I have a piece of bubble wrap with very fine bubbles, (salvaged from a parcel so don't know where you'd get the same grade), formed into a sleve to fit it and held together with sticky tape. I put that in one of my panniers and then put anything else I'm carrying in on either side of it.

No problems so far.

If possible, and if I know there's a computer with the software I need at the other end, I just take a memory stick with my files on it.

garrilla

In a rucksack - Crumpler Darkside, it has a waterproof laptop pouch that fits into a liner in the sack which is also waterproof.

Personally, and I have no evidence for this, I trust the laptop on my back more than I would in a pannier. Instinctively, I just feel there are more opportunities for damaging to the machine in a pannier.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
VAIO travels 30+ miles a day through SE London in a pannier. Done it for a year now, no issues as yet. Panniers are ortlieb rubber things, and both my bikes have 'suspended' panniers (where the racks benefit from suspension rather than being attached to the swingarm).

Rain, snow, hail, sun, all seem fine. I leave it hibernated whilst doing it, but I don't whip it out as soon as I arrive (fnarrr) for fear of condensation, etc.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Cheap and Cheerful Nike rucksack that my kids no longer use for school, it's in there with my A4 hardback notebook and some papers in a folder. Been doing this with the same laptop for about 3 years now. Seems protection enough. Power cable, filofax (I know... sooooo '80s) pack lunch, me medication, pair of shorts in case it pi55es down.

D4VOW

I don't travel with mine daily, only occasionally but I first place the laptop into a Crumpler The Gimp which I then put into my Crumpler Fux Deluxe.

There's no way of any water getting to it and with it being on my back it is far better protected from shock and vibration than it would be in a pannier (which I don't use anyway).

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
garrilla said:
Personally, and I have no evidence for this, I trust the laptop on my back more than I would in a pannier. .

I would be a little concerned about the vibrations from a panier

arallsopp said:
both my bikes have 'suspended' panniers (where the racks benefit from suspension rather than being attached to the swingarm).

Talk of the devil...this may be the solution, but I'd still prefer a rucksack option myself, somehow feels more secure.

mr Mag00

rising member
I leave it hibernated whilst doing it
would it not be better shut down completely?

hillrep

Veteran
The first answer is don't carry it, especially if it is big!

As others have said if you can take the data on a USB stick or external hard drive then that is much better.

I occasionally carry a small laptop in a pannier. The laptop is in a protective sleeve (Google e.g. "Crumpler The Gimp sleeve case") and wrapped in whatever clothing is also in there. I've had not problems in over 3 years and I cycle in city streets on a bike with no suspension. I've also carried the laptop in a rucksack which also works, but I don't like cycling with a rucksack.

MartinC

Über Member
I've commuted for many years with a laptop. The best way is with a purpose made rucksack or pannier with an insert. The 2 things that will kill it are water and vibration. I've often carried it in a pannier (Altura or Ortlieb office type pannier) or a rucksack (Targus). I hate cycling with a bag on my back but I'm slightly more comfortable with the pc being carried this way.

One thing that makes life easier is to acquire spare sets of power leads/transformers and leave them in the places you use the pc to save carrying them around.

garrilla

Hibernation is a power-free state, and all but the very oldest laptops will 'park' the hard drive so it should be safe to transport.

I think if the the hard-drive in the laptop is an IDE drive there can be problems with hibernation.

xroads

I' ve been carrying the same laptop daily for over 2 years using my Ogio Vega rucksack (has a seperate laptop zipup compartment). Ive taken a couple of falls with it, and its still survived.
I also keep a spare power supply and mouse at work.

Bman

Guru
I used to carry a laptop daily. Luckily I don’t need to in my new role.

I found it easy enough with the laptop in a satchel style laptop bag. Over one shoulder, under the other arm and tight enough so it rests on your lower back.

This also had the pleasant side affect of protecting me from the dreaded wet and muddy ar5e. The laptop was ok as the bag was waterproof. :biggrin:

Top Bottom