Cars without lights on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
or more to the point black Range Rovers without lights on. On the way home last night I came up to a junction where I was turning left. I look down the road to the right, nothing coming (so I thought) so without slowing down to much I swing into the road. Out of the corner of my eye I catch sight of some movement. Way hey, it's a great hulking RR about to plow into me. The driver almost comes to a stop and gives me the "what the f*ck" look and hand gestures, to which I just pointed towards his lights. To be fair he did look very apologetic and switched his lights on. Now perhaps I should have came to a full stop at the road end to make sure there was ABSOLUTELY nothing coming, but surely you can expect people to switch their lights on!!

BTW I saw a black cab last Friday motoring down the road with no lights on!

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
It's bad in the dusk as well. Some cars don't put their lights on. Some put on their useless parking lights, some have full lights on.

I find it harder to see cars without lights on when I'm checking behind me. A gray car on a gray road in the gray half light is almost invisible. I've started taking longer looks over my shoulder, and even slowing down and practically turning around to look behind me before right hand turns.

It's a pain.

Willow

Not cars but cyclists. I just followed a bike that had a white flashing light but it was on the same side of the road as me quite a long way in front. Totally confusing kept thinking it was on my side coming the wrong way. Red lights at the rear please.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
We have an 04 plate Zafira - that doesn't have automatic lights AFAIK... not too much to be able to figure out that it's dark outside though, and to put the lights on!!

The problem is that people assume just because they can see, people can see them (a bit like plenty of cyclists:whistle:). I see it at dawn and dusk on the motorway nearly every day.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Do you think it's a trend that's increasing, RT?

I'm aware of more motor vehicles with no or inadequate lighting this year than I was last year, personally.

Automatic lights are next to useless - they often 'see' the intense light of HID headlights from other cars and 'think' them to be daylight, thus switching the lights off. That's why any decent driver will have his 'auto' lights switched to manual operation.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Rhythm Thief said:
Yes I think so. Possibly because of more cars being fitted with automatic lights (which I didn't realise, and find utterly amazing ... how stupid and lazy do they think drivers are?)

It's true is'nt it! They think having a gimic like automatic lights is going to sell x amount of more cars to drivers who don't have time ..eh or a brain cell to turn them on when it's dark!

There is no such thing as automatic cos even the automatic switch has to be turned on manualy to make it automatic!:smile:

Top Bottom