Cassette change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidg

If I have a 12-25 cassette the back of a compact 50/34 10 speed, is it possible to just change the cassette to 11-28 without any adjusting ie just slot it in? If I was going to be on a particularly hilly day for example?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
depends on the rear mech. a long arm one should cope fine, but a short one may not. you may also need a new chain.

OP
OP
davidg

davidg

how do I know whether it is long arm?! it is Ultegra 6700...presumably a slightly longer chain would help the mech situation?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It will probably be OK.

Check to see that you can actually change into 50/28 as if you can't, and you accidentally select it out on the road, you could break something. If you can't select big/big, you'll have to add another link to the chain.
The other problem is that worn chains slip on new cassettes, so if you've got a 11-28 that you just use occasionally, you could end up using it at a stage when the 12-25 and chain are worn too much. Either change chains sufficiently often that it doesn't get that worn, or keep a chain for each cassette, and swap the chain at the same time as the cassette. This is easy enough with powerlinks.

OP
OP
davidg

davidg

a chain for each cassette sound pretty doable?!

my main concern is that I will probably be trying the Fred Whitton next year and want every bit of help that I can...except buying a triple bike

OP
OP
davidg

davidg

different question for my commuting bike

it is a specialized sirrus 09...
current rear deraillieur is Shimano Altus and cassette is Shimano HG-40 8 speed 11-32

Question. I mainly use the middle gearing and it is not particularly close ratio...
11 13 15 18 21 24 28 32 and never get into 28 or 32...

I need to change my chain and cassette as 1% stretch and was hoping there was a closer ratio cassette that I could put on...

I dont know how it is all affected by the rear der/lengths etc etc

could I for example get a road bike one like the Tiagra? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1864

or there something else that I should be looking at?

OP
OP
davidg

davidg

the mechanic in Evans said most would work, so I got a 12-25...

now to fit it! the first time that I have tried! (although I am going to an intermediate cycle maintenance course at the w/e!!)

peanut

davidg said:
the mechanic in Evans said most would work, so I got a 12-25...

now to fit it! the first time that I have tried! (although I am going to an intermediate cycle maintenance course at the w/e!!)

you will need a special 11t lockring. 11t sprockets have a slightly smaller diameter . Your chain will ride on top of a 12t lockring from your existing cassette and not sit correctly in the sprocket teeth.

Your rear mech will probably be fine and you will not need to change your chain (unless it is worn) but you may not be able to use your large chain ring with some of the larger cassette sprockets but then you shouldn't anyway;)

erm why did you buy a 12-25? is that a typo

peanut

adscrim said:
Won't he get an 11t lockring with an 11t cassette? Assuming he is buying new.

not necessarily. many oem cassettes are sold bare with no retail packaging or lockring.B)

adscrim

Veteran
Are you sure? The shimano (11t) and SRAM cassettes that I bought recently both had a lockrings attached.

I'd be suggesting to the retailer that the product was incomplete if it came without a lockring.

peanut

sorry I must have misread your original post.
I thought your question was whether or not you could use a 11-28 on your bike that currently has a 12-25 fitted ?so I naturally assumed that you were intending to buy a 11-28 :biggrin:

davidg said:
cheers

....why do you ask this?

the cassette is
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/hg50-cassette-8-speed-ec005232?query=hg50
I went for that because at the moment, I mainly use 15 18 21 24 on my commute and closer ratios between those should be better rather than feeling like I havent got the right gear

Top Bottom