Cat and fiddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Hope it all goes ok, I wonder if the pub will ever open again?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Enjoy it. Working in Macc I have ridden it countless times and still love it . It is a nice long climb (7 miles) . Never too steep, the start in Macclesfield is probably the toughest bit. Then get into a nice rhythm and enjoy the views. There are even a couple of bits where it is downhill and you can get a good bit of speed with little effort. Suspect there may still be temporary lights at Walker Barn and watch out for the Rossi wannabees. Wind is in the right direction.

Last edited:
Riding From newhall derbyshire through leek to the cat and fiddle, then back via ashbourne
7 am start ,
looking at 110 miles approx .
I rode up the cat and fiddle earlier this year, during the charity foundation ride I did from Manchester to Southampton. It’s on the brutal side, but the harshness dropped off just before my lungs exploded.

Sharky

Guru
Enjoy it. Working in Macc I have ridden it countless times and still love it . It is a nice long climb (7 miles) . Never too steep, the start in Macclesfield is probably the toughest bit. Then get into a nice rhythm and enjoy the views. There are even a couple of bits where it is downhill and you can get a good bit of speed with little effort. Suspect there may still be temporary lights at Walker Barn and watch out for the Rossi wannabees. Wind is in the right direction.
When I lived on Merseyside, this was one of my favourite climbs, starting from Prescot, a steady run to Macclesfield, then over the Cat. Then lunch on the outskirts of Buxton in a small café where I used to get beans on toast for about 2/-. And then back home.

Agree totally with this. Did it on the Tour of the Peak back in may and it’s a piece of pi55- and this is coming from a crap climber!! The bit out of Macc is definitely the hardest but not overly difficult. Good luck!!

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Top Bottom