Cat and Fiddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JuanLobbe

Über Member
Hi all

Having recently bought a cross bike with road tyres, I've done rides of 41 and 46 miles in the last week or so. On both rides, I went up the Wizard near Alderley Edge with the rest of each ride being relatively flat through Cheshire. I found the Wizard quite tough but managed to get up ok on both occasions.

My question is - how much harder is it to go up the Cat & Fiddle? is it a totally different league of climb? Is there anything in between the two in terms of length/difficulty that I should try first?

cheers!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Not ridden the Wizard but found the Cat and Fiddle fairly easy, none of it is terribly steep but it is a long old pull up the hill.

028.jpg

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I commute up over the Wizard, it is a lot shorter but has two bits that are steeper than anything on The Cat. The Cat and Fiddle is just a long drag (6 or 7 miles iirc) with a couple of false summits. There are lots of excellent climbs around the area that are on quieter roads without the looney motorcyclists doing Valentino Rossi impressions. Try Adlington upto Pott Shrigley and onto the Old Brickworks far less traffic apart from other cyclists. When you have the confidence to go a bit further there are some harder climbs upto Pym Chair and on into the Goyt Valley. You can always come back down the Cat from the Goyt Valley.

OP
OP
JuanLobbe

JuanLobbe

Über Member
I commute up over the Wizard, it is a lot shorter but has two bits that are steeper than anything on The Cat. The Cat and Fiddle is just a long drag (6 or 7 miles iirc) with a couple of false summits. There are lots of excellent climbs around the area that are on quieter roads without the looney motorcyclists doing Valentino Rossi impressions. Try Adlington upto Pott Shrigley and onto the Old Brickworks far less traffic apart from other cyclists. When you have the confidence to go a bit further there are some harder climbs upto Pym Chair and on into the Goyt Valley. You can always come back down the Cat from the Goyt Valley.

Thanks guys, sounds like I should manage it ok then! Will try out your recommendations too - good stuff.

OP
OP
JuanLobbe

JuanLobbe

Über Member
How great is this forum? Brilliant replies from everyone, thanks.

Guess I'll have to take it on now - but Mcr-Blackpool to get out of the way first!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The cat is harder at the bottom just after the straight drag out of Macc. It eases up once you clear the trees. The road surface is a mare at the bottom.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
after Woodhead at the weekend, The Cat is the next one in my sights

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Woodhead is a long drag, also rather busy. Cat is busy too, but more loonies on motorbikes - it's the UK's biggest hot spot for bike (motor) crashes.

Cat is worth doing from Buxton as well Gaz - Long Hill from Whaley, Buxton then Cat. Buxton side is shorter and steep - great for coming down though and motorbike chasing. Axe Edge down into Buxton is another good motorbike chasing hill. Just have to watch the wind direction as it can make the descents very hard work

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Woodhead is a long drag, also rather busy. Cat is busy too, but more loonies on motorbikes - it's the UK's biggest hot spot for bike (motor) crashes.

Cat is worth doing from Buxton as well Gaz - Long Hill from Whaley, Buxton then Cat. Buxton side is shorter and steep - great for coming down though and motorbike chasing. Axe Edge down into Buxton is another good motorbike chasing hill. Just have to watch the wind direction as it can make the descents very hard work

Sounds good

Enjoyed woodhead apart from all the hgv's

Looking forward to doing woodhead Joel Ln and the cat , in one ride.....one day :-)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
By woodhead do you mean riding along the a628 past woodhead reservoir? I rode that fixed with 85" gearing.

It is indeed a busy road with large vehicles, but as far as the climbing is concerned, I cant imagine it being much of a challenge with gears!

Top Bottom