Cateye light brackets!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
:blush: i've had two seperate brackets that have come lose whilst i'm riding with the light on, this means it jumps up and down all the time and is very annoying. Only way to fix it is to take the light off and screw it back in. But it's nearly impossible to get the bracket off the light once the screew has come loose!!

Anyone have any fixes for this?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Front or rear?

marinyork

The problem I had was that vibrations on the road would wiggle the light along and make the fitting become slightly loser. You could put some kind of metal fixing to stop it rotating?

buddha

Veteran
Big fat rubber bands, wrapped a few times round the light/bar.
It may look carp, bit it works.
edit: I put a bit of duct/gaffer tape round the handlebar first (before fitting the bracket) to stop slipping.

Davidc

Guru

Will1985

Über Member
Yep - another H-34 hater here. I have a load of H-31 and H-32 brackets but in a rush yesterday and needing another bracket quickly, I had to grab an H-34...it reminds me exactly why I prefer the older style as the light beam kept dropping down and only illuminating 5ft in front.

Davidc has picked out one such thread...I think there are more but H-3x might not be accepted by the search engine. I usually get my spare brackets from CycleStore.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I don't hane any of the issues described here, but more that the screw inside the bracket is coming lose. What the screw does is fully attach the semi-attached clip to the bracket. so the bracket isn't coming lose from my handle bars, but the clip is coming lose form the bracket due to the screw coming lose, which means my light bounces up and down.

Willo

Thought it was just my inexperience, but having bought 2 sets of cateye lights in the last couple of months I too struggled with keeping the brackets firmly in place. Taking a bit more care to ensure sure the clear rubber strips that came in my pack were tucked in neatly under the bracket seems to have made them much more stable on my road bike (after previously struggling to keep them tight and in place on my mountain bike). Surely there's a better design, but in the meantime using the rubber strips, or something similar as others have suggested, seemed to help keep them stable on my bike.

marinyork

gaz said:
I don't hane any of the issues described here, but more that the screw inside the bracket is coming lose. What the screw does is fully attach the semi-attached clip to the bracket. so the bracket isn't coming lose from my handle bars, but the clip is coming lose form the bracket due to the screw coming lose, which means my light bounces up and down.

Er, no, that is exactly what I had. You just seem to be one or two stages behind. Eventually the bracket will wear down and your light will commit suicide.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
marinyork said:
Er, no, that is exactly what I had. You just seem to be one or two stages behind. Eventually the bracket will wear down and your light will commit suicide.

oooooooooh, that doesn't sound good :biggrin:

Might write a letter to cateye explaining that there product is not fit for purpose and under the sales of goods act i am allowed a full refund as to which the price i paid. and that i will be taking it back to the shop i bought it from.

marinyork

gaz said:
oooooooooh, that doesn't sound good :laugh:

Might write a letter to cateye explaining that there product is not fit for purpose and under the sales of goods act i am allowed a full refund as to which the price i paid. and that i will be taking it back to the shop i bought it from.

I think some of it depends on the circumfrance of your bars. I can imagine some other set ups with fewer bumpy high speed descents getting on all right. That said when mine got really bad it was coming off on the flat on certain roads. I never tried the other mount, as my light died. The other one might work better for all I know.

Top Bottom