cateye strada wheel size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huttster

Hi all,i have treated myself to an early xmas pressie in a cateye strada wireless computer,has anyone got one and did you actually measure the wheel circumference?I have got 700x23c tyres so just put in 2096mm as per the instructions,after riding to work the mileage was out compared to my van so i decided to measure the circumference by putting a small blob of engineers blue on the tyre,getting on the bike and rolling forward one revolution,the distance between blobs was 2100mm so have put this measurement in,has anyone else measured and input a different measurement to the instructions?Am very pleased with it as seems to make me push harder to up my current speed and pace,OUCH!:biggrin: :biggrin:

heliphil

Guru
I guess it depends on the tyre - I have used the same 2096 on my 23mm tyre (GP4) and its seems quite accurate

Dan B

Disengaged member
I usually just go with whatever the chart says, because I'm lazy. I justify my laziness by assuming that tyre inflation, luggage, atmospheric pressure, and wobbbles due to steering will together make the 4mm difference largely insignficant. I can live with 0.1% inaccuracy anyway ...

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I have the same computer and just got my wife to use a bit of chalk to measure rolling circumference on the ground while I sat on the bike. Can't remember what figure it came up with. Seems pretty accurate.

OP
OP
huttster

huttster

I usually just go with whatever the chart says, because I'm lazy. I justify my laziness by assuming that tyre inflation, luggage, atmospheric pressure, and wobbbles due to steering will together make the 4mm difference largely insignficant. I can live with 0.1% inaccuracy anyway ...

...WELL I CANNOT! when first set up i rode to work which is exactly 10miles on van but computer says no! 9.8miles,was set up to 2086 then though by mistake but a little innacuracy soon adds up ;)

potsy

Rambler
...WELL I CANNOT! when first set up i rode to work which is exactly 10miles on van but computer says no! 9.8miles,was set up to 2086 then though by mistake but a little innacuracy soon adds up ;)

How accurate is the van one though? 0.1% would certainly be good enough for me too.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Yes, I'd actually be surprised if the van was more accurate. Use a good GPS measurement (in a straight line, GPS tends to "smooth out" corners) if you want a reference standard

Top Bottom