Cat's died.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Had to put my tabby cat to sleep on Monday. I had Kat 18 years and she was probably nearly 20 years old. She was still like a youngster to look at her. I got her as a rescue to comfort me when my Brother died.

She could have had a good few more years in her except for the tumor in her jaw that eventually stopped her being able to eat. She had lost a quarter of her body weight and we decided it was better to let her go then to let her starve and suffer with the painful and bleeding growth in her mouth.
The only treatment the vet could offer was to remove her jaw, an operation that she had never known to have been done sucessfully before. I couldn't see any reason to do that to her.

It is just starting to get to me.:laugh:
th_DSC00335.jpg

Attachments

• th_DSC00335.jpg
    th_DSC00335.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 12
  • th_DSC00335.jpg
    th_DSC00335.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 14

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Jeez mate, that's awful. Be assured that you absolutely did the right thing. I know that won't help right now, but you did all you could.
:laugh:

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Thanks Doc.
Because she was so active and healthy looking even the vet said it was a difficult one to do.
I just couldn't allow myself to hold on to her until she was completely starved before ending it. She would probably have struggled on for a week without food but that wouldn't be fair on her.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Had the same with a dog back in the day. We could have kept her alive for another week, but she was starting to suffer. Like you say, it's not fair to them.
Hope you're not feeling too bad.

WeeE

You did absolutely the best thing for her that you could've. And you've every right to feel sad, too. It is hard to lose a wee friend, specially when they're a link to family that we've lost.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
I suppose it got me today because she was so normal on Monday when I had to make the decision but I know that by today she would have been starving for nearly a week and so the decision today would have been the same.

Going to try and sleep now.

Thanks Doc.

longers

Legendary Member
I'm sorry to hear this too :laugh:

She was gorgeous, really beautiful, very friendly and very well looked after.
You did the right thing - no matter how hard it feels now. The op sounds very risky and traumatic for her.

take care.

Jane Smart

The Queen
Oh my goodness my heart goes out to you. I know what it is like to have a much loved member of the family put to sleep :sad:

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Sympathy Night Train. Hope you feel a bit better today and remember the good life you gave your pet.

I'm sure there's plenty of other rescue cats waiting just for you :sad:

wafflycat

Night Train said:
Had to put my tabby cat to sleep on Monday. I had Kat 18 years and she was probably nearly 20 years old. She was still like a youngster to look at her. I got her as a rescue to comfort me when my Brother died.

She could have had a good few more years in her except for the tumor in her jaw that eventually stopped her being able to eat. She had lost a quarter of her body weight and we decided it was better to let her go then to let her starve and suffer with the painful and bleeding growth in her mouth.
The only treatment the vet could offer was to remove her jaw, an operation that she had never known to have been done sucessfully before. I couldn't see any reason to do that to her.

It is just starting to get to me.:sad:
th_DSC00335.jpg

Many condolences, Night Train. You did absolutely the right thing. You gave a loving home to Kat when you got her as a rescue. As a result of that, you gave her many, many years of good life. At the end, you made the hardest, yet best decision a furred family member needs when he/she is in terminal illness. You saved her suffering once more. It hurts like h*ll, I know this from personal experience, as I've had the same experience - the pit/hole in the stomach and heart when thinking of the furred ones, most especially in the early days following that final vet visit - it's a raw pain inside.

*hugs*

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Thanks you.

I'm at work now following very little sleep and struggling with the overly loud and active 'office banter'.
I just feel a deep need to pick up Kat and hug her really close. She was the sort of cat that liked that, the other two don't. I will have her ashes back in a couple of weeks.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Sad news, you did the right thing though.

When my cat, Spratley, got run over it was very upsetting - even though she was the most aggresive beast on the planet I was still very fond of her...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sorry to hear this NT.:sad: I can't add much to what's been said, you gave her a good life and a relatively 'good' death, which is the most we can do for our animals.

Top Bottom