Cav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
Oh yes.

Looking for a win this year in Ghent-Wevelgem and riding for the experience and to help out teammates in Paris Roubaix.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
mondobongo said:
Oh yes.

Looking for a win this year in Ghent-Wevelgem and riding for the experience and to help out teammates in Paris Roubaix.

Good! It would be nice to think that he could mix it in them like Boonen , Hushovd etc

yello

Do you think he can though? In the classics?

I don't know why but I have this bizarre notion that a 1 day race is different to one stage in a stage race... though really there is no real reason for Cav to not be equally as successful in both. I'd like to think so.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Maybe not yet, especially if he has to do the short steep climbs? He does seem to rely on his teammates more than the more experienced sprinters. If the team goes awol then so does he whereas Boonen for instance has the power(?) to stay with it and even breakaway with a small group.
Fair comment or not?

yello

Fair comment I'd say.

Cav is damned good, fastest bloke around over 50/100m but he's not the complete rider yet imho. Fr'instance, I think talk of green jerseys is too soon, much as I'd like to see it. But he's new to the scene and he'll learn.

mondobongo

Über Member
Good interview with him in the last Cycle Sport were he talks about his plans for this year really wants to do well in Ghent make a showing in Milan - San Remo. Cav is being tipped as a possible winner of Paris -Roubaix in the later part of his career.

(still have mag with the Cav interview should anyone want it pm me address)

mr-marty-martin

has he been that succesful at stage races...

a mean at the last tour he won 4 stages, but did he finish it... did he bollocks, and untill he does with the same/more amount of stage wins i dont believe he can be a winner of it...

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
mr-marty-martin said:
has he been that succesful at stage races...

a mean at the last tour he won 4 stages, but did he finish it... did he bollocks, and untill he does with the same/more amount of stage wins i dont believe he can be a winner of it...

He wanted to finish but left to do the Madison in Beijing. He was gutted not to have been given the support by BC and regretted not staying in France

mondobongo

Über Member
mr-marty-martin said:
at the last tour he won 4 stages, but did he finish it... did he bollocks, and untill he does with the same/more amount of stage wins i dont believe he can be a winner of it...

Think you may find he left to prepare for the Olympics and was very upset to do so.

Winner of what The Tour? Not even in his plans. The Green Jersey? Well of course he has to finish to win a category, maybe this year if not within the next 2 years.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
mr-marty-martin said:
i no that

what im saying is i dont think he'll be able to finish it strongly...

Well given what you 'know' about his Tour performance last year, I reckon what you know is not very much really.

Cav is still developing as a rider. He'll win points jerseys and day races in the future. He is showing signs of becoming a more effective time triallist too.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Cavendish has a lot of detractors among cycling fans in this country. As he is quite likely to become the most successful British cyclist in history this might appear to be rather strange, until you realise that we have turned into a nation of celebrety worshippers and anyone who doesn't play the Hello! magazine grinning idiot himbo role is beyond the understanding of many people.

A personality not provided by the PR machine? Jesus, what a nerve.

Skip Madness

Is he going to ride Milano-Sanremo this year? I thought he was. That is definitely one within his reach. The distance might get to him having not raced it before, but he will surely be in with a shout there if not this year then in the not-too-distant future. The same applies to Paris-Tours.

Top Bottom