Cavity Wall Insulation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Saw on another thread that someone had Cavity Wall Insulation.
Is this worth having done?
Pros and cons?
Approx costs?
Cheers

That was me.

Our house had always been cold esp on the north facing side where the bathroom and my daughter's bedroom are. Cost us £150 through our energy provider (it was £150 per product, IIRC, but I did the loft insulating myself).

A surveyor came round first and drilled a pilot hole to check the thickness of the cavity - it has to be a certain minimum or they can't do it, we were told - then the 2-man team came a few weeks later and did the job. Not a lot of mess. Took them half a day.

It has definitely been warmer in the house since we had it done. We have a few of those 'card and plastic strip' thermometers (maybe not very accurate?) - seldom do they drop below 18C. Still got our first winter to come mind!

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That was me.

Our house had always been cold esp on the north facing side where the bathroom and my daughter's bedroom are. Cost us £150 through our energy provider (it was £150 per product, IIRC, but I did the loft insulating myself).

A surveyor came round first and drilled a pilot hole to check the thickness of the cavity - it has to be a certain minimum or they can't do it, we were told - then the 2-man team came a few weeks later and did the job. Not a lot of mess. Took them half a day.

It has definitely been warmer in the house since we had it done. We have a few of those 'card and plastic strip' thermometers (maybe not very accurate?) - seldom do they drop below 18C. Still got our first winter to come mind!

£150 doesn't sound to bad....
Having a quick scan of Morty's link. There are 3 types of insulation. Which one did you have?

Cost depends on the size of your house (obviously as more material required for a mansion than a mid terrace!!)

Cost me £200 thru British Gas to have a 4 bed detached done! Get them to check your loft insulation too as you can get similar deals to increase that as well.

£150 doesn't sound to bad....
Having a quick scan of Morty's link. There are 3 types of insulation. Which one did you have?

Can't see the bit about types, but we had the stuff that looks like yellowish wadding. They fed large bales of it into a giant hopper that shredded it and blew it along a 6" hose, then injected it under pressure through nozzles into the cavity, checking to see it had reached everywhere as they went. They were approved contractors through the energy provider which is how we got the subsidised price. We got the 25 year guarantee through the post a couple of weeks later (just as they said it would be).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hmm £150 sounds good to me ... we paid more like £500 15+ years ago ... people coming into our house assume the heating is on when it isn't ... we haven't switched the central heating on yet this year and I've just checked the thermostat in the hall which reckons its about 17/18 degrees at the moment.

Can't see the bit about types, but we had the stuff that looks like yellowish wadding. They fed large bales of it into a giant hopper that shredded it and blew it along a 6" hose, then injected it under pressure through nozzles into the cavity, checking to see it had reached everywhere as they went.
Sounds like the mineral wool variety! Here's a link that tells you what the other 2 are: http://www.cus.net/insulation/subcats/cavitywallinsulation.html

ChrisKH

Guru
Had this done at our last house; well worth it. Check with the EST if any grants or reductions are available.

Typically I need a new boiler (no heating or hot water for three days now) and there are no grants available for 'rich' people.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cost depends on the size of your house (obviously as more material required for a mansion than a mid terrace!!)

Cost me £200 thru British Gas to have a 4 bed detached done! Get them to check your loft insulation too as you can get similar deals to increase that as well.

That's not a bad cost either.
Have just had a look at BG website as our leccy and gas is through them.
Have booked an appointment for a surveyor to come round.

As to the lost insulation. Will leave that at the mo, as we are planning a conversion for next year.

had mine done 3/4 yrs ago through my local council... £99 for 2 bed semi... could of had the loft done too but theres already stuff up there and would of been a nightmare as its fully boarded and its all nailed and screwed down...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
check your wall ties before blowing any foaming agents in. In fact, check your wall ties full stop. Ian - let's have a word about this tomorrow night.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Had this done at our last house; well worth it. Check with the EST if any grants or reductions are available.

Typically I need a new boiler (no heating or hot water for three days now) and there are no grants available for 'rich' people.

Tell me about it! Unless you have to sell your children and beg openly in the street, you are classed as "rich" ...
wacko.gif

U

User482

After loft insulation, cavity wall insulation is about the most cost-effective measure you can take.

longers

Legendary Member
check your wall ties before blowing any foaming agents in. In fact, check your wall ties full stop. Ian - let's have a word about this tomorrow night.

Could you expand on this please for those not riding to the pub coast tomorrow?

Top Bottom