CCTV catches "distracted" drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purplepolly

A driver would have to be seriously distracted, possibly by being asleep, not to notice that thing. Just put the coffee down as soon as you see a smart car with a periscope and you should be ok.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
there was a guy on bbc news this morning complaining about it being a breach of privacy , sat next to him was some one else who`s son/ daughter ( i forget )had been killed by some idiot careless driving .

Yes the cameras are there to see you doing things

yes if your doing something illegal you should be caught

yes if it makes our roads a safer place !

begin rant.........

heck every day i see drivers using phones and driving as though no one else was on the road etc etc .Maybe it is rose coloured glasses but to me it seems nowadays drivers have no courtesy,no patience and no sense of danger .I hate driving the car especially when i have my son in the back as i`m even more aware of the idiots out there , in fact just today i nearly had a moped in my boot when i slowed for speed bumps.

in fact make using a mobile an instant ban ......end rant

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Anyone caught using their mobile will be asked to pay £60 and have three points added to their licence.

Only asked not told.

"Please could you pay £60 for using your mobile while driving"

"No"

"Oh! OK then"

:sad::biggrin::biggrin:

dudi

I don't get these 'breach of privacy' people... they complain about these measures invading their privacy and damaging civil liberties... but they still claim they're law abiding citizens.

As my mum has always said...
"If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to worry about"

I personally couldn't care less if there are cameras watching my every move. so long as common sense is used when policing what they pick up.
I obey the law as best as I can, and have nothing whatsoever to hide from anyone.

Bring on the CCTV, that's what I say.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
yep, I don't own a car cos I live in centrasl London and don't need one, however I am very aware of people driving without due care and attention, if this system clamps down on that then ....Great!:sad:

Davidc

Guru
3000+ people dead on UK roads each year = approximately 9 a day. If looking into cars to see driver behaviour helps reduce that then any privacy issues are minor IMHO.

We're too reluctant to ban people for bad driving. Why not a 5 year ban for over 6 penalty points?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Davidc said:
3000+ people dead on UK roads each year = approximately 9 a day. If looking into cars to see driver behaviour helps reduce that then any privacy issues are minor IMHO.

We're too reluctant to ban people for bad driving. Why not a 5 year ban for over 6 penalty points?

+1

I found this absolutely hilarious.

All this BS from certain motorist lobby groups about how Police Officers onthe streets will save us all from dangerous drivers and are the ultimate panacea for road safety...... Now we have a Police Officer using technology to do exactly this - identify dangerous drivers and we have the same bleating about infringement of rights, and why this will not work either.

So we are back to the "Oh dear, something is being done that raises my chances of being caught driving dangerously and we can't have that can we?"

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Have been thinking about this a little and realised it could catch nall sorts of behaviour on camera eating, drinking and even people having sex while driving! Well we all have haven't we?:smile:

Crankarm

Guru
Cunobelin said:
I found this absolutely hilarious.

All this BS from certain motorist lobby groups about how Police Officers onthe streets will save us all from dangerous drivers and are the ultimate panacea for road safety...... Now we have a Police Officer using technology to do exactly this - identify dangerous drivers and we have the same bleating about infringement of rights, and why this will not work either.

So we are back to the "Oh dear, something is being done that raises my chances of being caught driving dangerously and we can't have that can we?"

+1. These people don't want these cameras as they want to have the freedom to break the law with impunity, unnoticed and not getting caught. When they have a serious accident and some one is fatally injured they then want the state to spend a fortune collecting evidence or building a case against them so in all likelihood it will be dropped or they can employ some smart talking lawyer to get them off as there is some doubt. Having a camera pointed at them does away with all that catching them red handed, the footage is indisputable. So all they now face is a fine and or automatic ban. They can challenge an automatic fine and points by appealing but that would not be wise given then camera footage. Excellent idea. However one problem will be cars on false plates which is increasingly common as shown on Police Interceptors. I guess you would then ask to see the footage showing who was driving if you received a fine, nasty letter or summons from the police/cps. Great for catching the many uninsured/untaxed vehicles as well. Excellent idea.

Nb. Google street view has had fewer complaints which is a lot more intrusive filming your home and local area in detail and placing it on the web for all and sundry to see. Shows you just where peoples' priorities lie. They prefer the freedom to commit crime.

Crankarm

Guru
djtheglove said:
Have been thinking about this a little and realised it could catch nall sorts of behaviour on camera eating, drinking and even people having sex while driving! Well we all have haven't we?;)

Speak for yourself........Wait a minute you previously said you don't own a car. Were you a passenger or was it.........the car.........hot? You occasionally hear about these type of people they have to do it in dangerous places or situations. There was the film Crash which was sick.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Just more bleating by the press to drum up viewers/readers. If you do the 'crime' then do the time. If you are sensible, you have nothing to fear?

Sadly indicative of a selfish populus unwilling to accept responsibility for their actions.

djtheglove said:
Have been thinking about this a little and realised it could catch nall sorts of behaviour on camera eating, drinking and even people having sex while driving! Well we all have haven't we?:tongue:

No.

Sadly indicative of a selfish populous unwilling to accept responsibility for their actions.

A friend of mine who I highly respect pointed this out to me with which I had to sadly agree.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Hmmm this scheme is interesting. Something really has to be done about mobiles. It's at epic proportions in the rush hour. Not so sure about other things but they are there.

Interestingly enough I was listening to the chief transport planner in my city recently and he mentioned about CCTV for other schemes such as very bad double parking outside of schools. So I wonder whether we'll end up swapping schemes at some point.

Top Bottom