Chain Breaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dfects

Hiya :rolleyes:

I need to fit a new front derailleur soon as mines a bit on the broken side. I've got a chain breaking tool thing, but will I need to replace any links? Or is it just a case of pushing the pin out, looping through new derailleur, pushing the same pin back?

If I need a new link, is there any easy way to find what size chain I have?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Ste

Welcome to CC

You are right it is just a case of braking the chain and putting it back together.

02GF74

Über Member
wooooh, not so fast.

on shimano XT shifters, there is a screw that allows the cage to be split. dunno if they still make them like that but check the shifter first, you may be lucky.

OP
OP
D

Dfects

I'm still awaiting the new derailleur through the post so not sure, but I'll definitely check. Its a Shimano C050 and from the pics i've found they seem to be riveted :biggrin:

heres hoping though!

barq

Yeah, a SRAM powerlink (or similar) is a cheap way of dis/connecting chains at will. Very handy for cleaning.

As regards the type of chain... the make and model is probably stamped on the side. But the critical issue is how many gears on the rear cassette? 8,9,10? More gears means narrower gauge chains and so different replacement pins or links.

e-rider

crappy member
Hold on a minute - many chains (including ALL shimano ones) will not be a case of just pushing back in the old pin - it will almost certainly result in the chain snapping sooner rather than later.
Nearly all chains now come with joining links or joining pins. Such as the SRAM powerlink mentioned before. If you have a joining link then you will not need a tool. If you don't; spilt the chain using the tool and then join it using a powerlink or similar (they come in a couple of different sizes and cost about £2). 3/32" is good for 5,6,7 and 8 speed systems, otherwise you'll need a narrower one.
If you have a shimano chain you can buy a pack of the connecting pins for a few quid - again available in different sizes.
Alternatively, buy a new chain as they should be replaced quite often. You can get a basic one for £5 online. Remember to buy the correct size.

Top Bottom