chain cleaning...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I put my whole bike in a 200 degree steam commercial dishwasher near Driffield after every ride, then take it to a wind turbine greasing depot near Goole where a mate works, to have all the bearings regreased. So it takes that bit longer but it works for me

I put the chain in an old saucepan filled with paraffin to a depth of about an inch. I put the pan on a solid fuel camping stove outside in the garden. I then light the stove to boil the paraffin and stir the chain about. The paraffin sometimes catches fire but it gets all the grit out of the chain which comes out nice and clean. I fish the chain out of the pan with a bent coat hanger and hang it up to cool.
Cripes reminds me of the old timer's lots of petrol advice on my first ever maintenance course. Do you shave with a chainsaw?

Me, remove chain, shake around in plastic milk bottle with cleaning solution, rinse well, hang to dry, relube.

Alan O

Über Member
Just out of interest (it is interesting - sort of) when people refer to "cleaning solution", eg @Blue Hills or the solution used in the cleaner gadgets, is this water based?

I'd have a gut feel that I don't want to be working water deep into my chain. That's why I use a volatile solvent (white spirit) in sparing quantities (just to help mobilise the gunk, no more). Of course I'm not implying that my gut feel equates to "you are all doing it wrong you numbskulls". I'm just curious as to whether working water into the chain more than necessary is indeed a problem.
It's a soaking and a good shaking about in white spirit for me (well, for my chain), outdoors.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You will buy a chain cleaning machine. You will use it once or twice. You will realise it's a fair old faff and way too messy. You will then put the machine in your shed or garage for it never to be used again.
I would accuse you of spying on me except that I used it more often, right up until the second chain wore out pretty much at the same rate as usual.

Just out of interest (it is interesting - sort of) when people refer to "cleaning solution", eg @Blue Hills or the solution used in the cleaner gadgets, is this water based?

I meant diluted degreaser. I then rinse it thoroughly in water (you don't want the degreaser mixing with the lube, hand dry and leave to air dry from the washing line, oil it. Never had a problem, can't see one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom